PDA

View Full Version : Israel disciplines top officers on white phosphorus

nastyleg
02-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Israel disciplines top officers on white phosphorus
Palestinians run for cover from white phosphorus in Bait Lahyia 17 January 2009
White phosphorus was used in the 22-day Israeli offensive

Israel has revealed it has disciplined two senior officers in its defence forces for using white phosphorus shells during an offensive in Gaza.

The admission is contained in the Israeli response to the Goldstone report, which concluded both Israel and Hamas had committed war crimes.

The identities of the officers and their punishment is not yet clear.

During the 22-day conflict last year media pictures showed incendiary shells raining down on a UN compound.

The officers ranks have been confirmed as a brigadier-general and a colonel.

"Several artillery shells were fired in violation of the rules of engagement prohibiting use of such artillery near populated areas," the report says.

The BBC's Paul Wood in Jerusalem says it is the first time Israel has revealed it disciplined any officer for their actions during the offensive, named by the Israeli military as Operation Cast Lead.

Our correspondent says the admission was buried in the document handed to the United Nations on Friday.

The UN General Assembly has demanded that both Israel and Hamas launch independent investigations into their conduct during the Israeli operation which began in December 2008.

An Israeli official said the submission to the UN was not intended to respond in detail to the allegations and incidents outlined in the Goldstone report, but to explain why the Israeli justice system was "reliable" and "independent".

The Islamist movement Hamas has denied that its forces deliberately targeted civilians with rockets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8490646.stm

Yono
02-01-2010, 09:58 AM
SUCH BULLCRAP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will some one PLEASE explain to me WHY people feel sorry for those scumbags called HAMAS?

Toki
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
SUCH BULLCRAP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will some one PLEASE explain to me WHY people feel sorry for those scumbags called HAMAS?

They aren't feeling bad for Hamas. It's the civilians that get killed when Hamas uses them as shields.

Yono
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
They aren't feeling bad for Hamas. It's the civilians that get killed when Hamas uses them as shields.

Strange how people usually don't include the part about shields. All I hear is we murder civilians only.

nastyleg
02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Strange how people usually don't include the part about shields. All I hear is we murder civilians only.

agreed

GTFPDQ
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Have to agree with Yono.