PDA

View Full Version : UK: Gurkha veterans lose court battle for pensions

nastyleg
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
UK: Gurkha veterans lose court battle for pensions
(January 11th, 2010 @ 12:03pm)

By SYLVIA HUI
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - A British court on Monday rejected a bid by retired Gurkha soldiers to win the right to be paid the same pensions as military personnel from Britain.

The ruling was the latest outcome in a string of high-profile court battles in which the former soldiers from Nepal fought for equal treatment with their U.K. counterparts. Gurkhas have been part of the British military for over two centuries, and have fought in the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan.

About 25,000 Gurkhas who retired before 2007 were not eligible for pension payments equal to their U.K.-based counterparts, the British Gurkha Welfare Society said. They were paid about a third of the monthly pensions given to U.K. soldiers because they were recruited from Nepal and stationed in the Far East.

But those Gurkhas who served after July 1, 2007- when their regiment moved from Hong Kong to Britain- were given improved payments because they had closer ties to the U.K.

Lawyers for the Gurkha veterans sought a judicial review of that policy, arguing that the inferior pension amounted to nationality and age discrimination.

The High Court ruled against the Gurkhas and ordered them to pay the government's legal costs. Gurkha veterans said they would appeal Monday's ruling.

Gurkhas have been part of the British military since the early 1800s and thousands of young men from the poverty-stricken Himalayan hills still apply to join the force every year.

Last year, Gurkha veterans in Britain won a major legal victory when a court granted them the right to settle in Britain after years of lawsuits and lobbying.

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=46&sid=1251124

wanny1971
01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
that makes me sad ..
gurkhas have a fearsome reputation and honourable traditional history with the uk
known to have been personal royal protection (prince harry)
they served equally .. they should benefit equally
british public are behind them
but the government is not
truly sad :(

dmaxx3500
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
this isn't right,i hope they keep fighting

nastyleg
01-12-2010, 01:58 AM
A fucking shame. I hope those that are in charge hold themselves cheap for they have not shared blood with them and will never know how it feels.

GTFPDQ
01-12-2010, 02:54 AM
The UK just continues to disappoint. How to keep moral up amongst the countries fighting men. There must be some form of resolution by the MOD.

ghost
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Another one of Brown's "great ideas"?

nastyleg
01-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Another one of Brown's "great ideas"?

I dont doubt it