PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Lying about Military service

informal68
01-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Thought this would be a good place to ask.. another forum I visit has an ass-hat who likes to brag about his "Military background"

I don't believe for a second he has ever served in any branch.
My question is.. Is it outright illegal to lie about military service? or is just a crime to embellish your Military record?

I tried googling.. but all that comes up (sadly) is all the politicians who pad their Military record.

Thanks for any info,
Informal

Reactor-Axe-Man
01-10-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that if they claim any awards or decorations that they are not entitled to, then yes, they are guilty of violating the Stolen Valor Act.

dmaxx3500
01-10-2010, 11:38 AM
heres an article from california

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/30/calif-law-targets-those-lying-about-military/

heres the 2005 stolen valor act from the u.s. congress

http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/

Colors
01-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Here's s'more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/11/accused-military-fake-ste_n_354753.html

He faces up to a year in the cooler for unauthorised display of military medals.

Here is an interesting one from the UK

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6946105.ece

This guy showed up to a parade wearing medals dating from WW1 to the Falklands. He has now been found to have served only 14 months as an army reserve, never been awarded any medals and had never even served a tour in any conflict.

It is not legal to do this in the UK and he faces a massive fine. Had he been a man of younger years ... he'd be jailed.

dmaxx3500
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Here's s'more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/11/accused-military-fake-ste_n_354753.html

He faces up to a year in the cooler for unauthorised display of military medals.

Here is an interesting one from the UK

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6946105.ece

This guy showed up to a parade wearing medals dating from WW1 to the Falklands. He has now been found to have served only 14 months as an army reserve, never been awarded any medals and had never even served a tour in any conflict.

It is not legal to do this in the UK and he faces a massive fine. Had he been a man of younger years ... he'd be jailed.

wow that guy must have been 150 years old to have been in that many wars

informal68
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the replys.

From all I read, it doesn't appear that just claiming you are/were in the Military (when you were in fact not) is a crime?

It seems to be a crime when you claim valor/medals that were not earned, or try to use Military service to falsely attain benefits or financial/political gain?

Am I close?

Colors
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Correct. It is not illegal to claim military service when it is untrue. You'll only be branded a fraud and probably face some nasty consequences from all those that you lied to.

If you cross that line by wearing medals, use your fake military status to clam benefits or employment, give a false interview or wear a replica uniform to any official event ... it is illegal.

There's probably thousands of people out there who claim they were/are military. You'll find them in heaps, especially on the internet. Most are harmless young men who dream about heroic deeds in military service but never quite had the guts (or fitness) to apply those dreams outside of their own fantasy land.

The ones that really annoy me are those like Mr. Day (my link above) who go to great lengths to fake a life they never lead and to shove their warped fantasies into the faces of the men and women who fought for his freedom to become a lunatic in the first place.

smee
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
You have to be somewhat stupid to make false claims in the first place.. But doing it in the internet age? Thats a whole new kind of stupid!

death2mooj
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
just saying it is just being a fraud and nothing can be done......wearing a uniform and doing it at the same time is a different story.....that idiot black guy that was faking like he was a ranger that served in iraq slaughtering innocents found this out the hard way

rudolph
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Just wondering what anyone thinks of this, there is a man on youtube who claims to have been a ranger, he has attacked other servicemen and called for them to prove they have been in the marines, yet he refuses to prove it himself, others there have shown their DD124's but now he is saying he will only show his to a ranger or someone higher, he claims to have been involved in all kinds of black ops and attacks anyone who asks for proof, at the moment he is bullying a 17 yr old girl from the UK for asking why he asks others for proof yet refuses to prove it himself, is there anyone here who has the status of ranger or above willing to tackle him? he is about 40 but quite pathetic anyone who calls him out is google stalked and harassed by his sock accounts, is this how rangers act?

Malice
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
To give you a little personal experience.
Recently I was awarded a very random medal from my service back in 1989-1990.
During my service the Panama Conflict had begun but the Gulf war had not. I never fired a shot and never stepped foot on hostile territory.
It was the Air Force Expeditionary Medal. AFEM for those in the know.

Regardless... I was IN the service at the time of the conflict but was never DIRECTLY involved though my base was the base of operation.
My employer keeps a record of our service, awards and military history. Each year we update that information... no idea why, but meh, that's what they want.

I truly don't believe I deserve this medal and think it was given in error. I have contacted the DoD and the archives.gov site to confirm. I have yet to hear back from them though I've been told the paperwork has been sent.
So I have not included that in my awards records until it's confirmed.

His DD214 should have all the details people need to confirm his legitimacy but like me, he may not fond of just flashing it to anyone. There is a lot of personal information on there that people don't need to know. (sadly, this site included, sorry Stark).

Point being:
I think you will find most humble soldiers won't dance around about how many "black ops" they did and how tough they were. There is a difference between a professional soldier and a yokel that wants the attention. Where there is smoke there is fire. I would doubt his legitimacy. I can't help you with your search for someone to call him out. I have many high ranking officer friends but none served in the Army.

rudolph
09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
To give you a little personal experience.
Recently I was awarded a very random medal from my service back in 1989-1990.
During my service the Panama Conflict had begun but the Gulf war had not. I never fired a shot and never stepped foot on hostile territory.
It was the Air Force Expeditionary Medal. AFEM for those in the know.

Regardless... I was IN the service at the time of the conflict but was never DIRECTLY involved though my base was the base of operation.
My employer keeps a record of our service, awards and military history. Each year we update that information... no idea why, but meh, that's what they want.

I truly don't believe I deserve this medal and think it was given in error. I have contacted the DoD and the archives.gov site to confirm. I have yet to hear back from them though I've been told the paperwork has been sent.
So I have not included that in my awards records until it's confirmed.

His DD214 should have all the details people need to confirm his legitimacy but like me, he may not fond of just flashing it to anyone. There is a lot of personal information on there that people don't need to know. (sadly, this site included, sorry Stark).

Point being:
I think you will find most humble soldiers won't dance around about how many "black ops" they did and how tough they were. There is a difference between a professional soldier and a yokel that wants the attention. Where there is smoke there is fire. I would doubt his legitimacy. I can't help you with your search for someone to call him out. I have many high ranking officer friends but none served in the Army.
Thanks thought he may be lying, nah thats not true, I was sure he was lying.Thanks anyway.

gazzthompson
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Just wondering what anyone thinks of this, there is a man on youtube

I stopped reading there...

Dont believe anything said on youtube comments ever in anyway shape or form.... ever.... No point wasting time, probably a 15yr old kid having a right laugh at how hes pissing off everyone. Dont feed the trolls.

rudolph
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I stopped reading there...

Dont believe anything said on youtube comments ever in anyway shape or form.... ever.... No point wasting time, probably a 15yr old kid having a right laugh at how hes pissing off everyone. Dont feed the trolls.
No this dude is definately in his 40s he makes spunker reports where he speaks on cam..he sounds deranged I have to say.

gutro
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
This is so blatantly retarded it's not funny.

Why do people "claim" to have served?

I have never served in any military or any enforcement agency. In fact I have only ever fired a scoped .22 rifle and a 12ga. shotty. Other than that, it's been water guns or paintball guns.

I've never claimed to be a part of the military.

However, I do study it, research it and have a genuine interest in the military. I have a sound knowledge of most things related to the military and enjoy discussing military topics. I read military novels and am writing one myself.

So I ask again, why the fuck do these retards need to "claim" to have served? What's the point? To me it only makes you look like a complete jack ass and voids any and all credibility you may have had.

Like I said, I've never served, but these phonies really fucking piss me off.

rudolph
09-24-2010, 01:33 PM
I think its a low self esteem and a lack of personal achievement that makes people make these claims, they say NPD, narcissist personality disorder sufferers are prone to these Walter Mitty claims and when they are confronted they react aggressively..just like the loon on youtube...user name THEBUBBAEFFECTx10 well all the bubbaeffects he has from 1 to 12. He then creates socks to attack anyone who see's through him, so going by this guy I would say low self esteem or personality disorder

gutro
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
It must be a disorder of some kind.... To me it should be a crime, same as impersonating a police officer.

If I dress up as a cop and lead people to believe I am, I get charged. Should be the same for the military.

JOG12
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Those people are a disgrace to this nation. Attention-seekers I tell you.

God bless are REAL soldiers and Marines rah!

rudolph
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
would appreciate an opinion on the guys, his user name on youtube is BUBBAEFFECTX10, the video in question is spunker report40, the background on his channel is of a young Greek girl who dared to call him out as a liar.

death2mooj
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Just wondering what anyone thinks of this, there is a man on youtube who claims to have been a ranger, he has attacked other servicemen and called for them to prove they have been in the marines, yet he refuses to prove it himself, others there have shown their DD124's but now he is saying he will only show his to a ranger or someone higher, he claims to have been involved in all kinds of black ops and attacks anyone who asks for proof, at the moment he is bullying a 17 yr old girl from the UK for asking why he asks others for proof yet refuses to prove it himself, is there anyone here who has the status of ranger or above willing to tackle him? he is about 40 but quite pathetic anyone who calls him out is google stalked and harassed by his sock accounts, is this how rangers act?

Now that isn't how they act..... someone pulling that bullshit is just grabbing for attention, I am sure a Ranger would give him some attention as well

rudolph
09-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Im glad to hear this isnt typical behaviour or US Marines, I would say something to him myself but am dumb when it comes to military particularly in the USA so wouldnt want to look a fool, besides I have seen what he is doing to the young girl who has called him out. I definitely think its a certain kind of person who claims to be military, have googled it and it says its very common, and they usually always say black ops.

Fyall
09-24-2010, 08:09 PM
I did not serve in the military, I have served my country in different ways. I am now a homeland security merc. Hired gun. I work with a BUNCH of Marines and Army infantry badasses. I did not go where they went, I did not do what they did. I am honored to work with them. I would NEVER claim something I did not earn. Anyone who tries should be lit on fire.

Schneids
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Like I said, I've never served, but these phonies really fucking piss me off.

I play a lot of video games, and I can't tell you the amount of time I've completely nailed kids on these lies. I love asking them what branch, unit, where they've served, etc. You can pretty much tell by how they speak/type sometimes too. I've heard people say things and you can just kinda tell they're military.

For some reason kids in the DEP program piss me off too. They go around telling everyone they enlisted and act as though they've been in for a year, when they haven't even hit basic yet.