PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility cloak

Cruality
08-12-2008, 02:50 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people and objects invisible.

Researchers have demonstrated for the first time they were able to cloak three-dimensional objects using artificially engineered materials that redirect light around the objects.

Previously, they only have been able to cloak very thin two-dimensional objects.

The findings, by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, are to be released later this week in the journals Nature and Science.

The new work moves scientists a step closer to hiding people and objects from visible light, which could have broad applications, including military ones.
Don't Miss

* Scientists set sights on invisibility cloaks

People can see objects because they scatter the light that strikes them, reflecting some of it back to the eye.

Cloaking uses materials, known as metamaterials, to deflect radar, light or other waves around an object.

Metamaterials are mixtures of metal and circuit board materials such as ceramic, Teflon or fibre composite.

CNN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine land, sea, air combat with invisibile objects. You know what, even partially invisible or transparent objects would make the fight extremely difficult for any soldier/pilot. When I think of this I think of what it'd be like to fight an object that was see through, almost like chasing a perfectly transparent jelly fish in lucid water.

TopCup
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
is this the same technology?

http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/2008/08/11/military-uses-possible-for-new-invisibility-technology.asp

As surely they could build a big cloak?

Cruality
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
oh wow, very cool article TopCup... i'm extremely pleased you're sharing. It seems they are indeed the same technology, and that's extremely exciting technology if you ask me. The ideas are so incredibly futuristic.. imagine an aircraft that's not trackable by radar (stealth) and also isn't visible in the sky. The Jet could technically hover around without anyone even having a clue. Of course, considering jets make sound sitting around won't really avoid complete attention but still. What will dog fights look like with this technology? New aircraft would need some sort of computer system that can detect the jets and literally outline the vehicle on their heads up display so that they can dogfight and counter the aircraft. The outline of the jet will also need to be extremely detailed so one could determine the front versus the rear of the jet. Exciting technological innovations if you ask me, I cannot wait to see some of the other tech coming out of the american camp

Cruelbreed
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Do you know how many places i'd be if I had this cloak lol?

HolX
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Psh, tons of crap on this

http://www.naturesgrasp.com/search/invisibility-cloak

Fassin
08-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Psh, tons of crap on this

http://www.naturesgrasp.com/search/invisibility-cloak

Lawl I see you're linking to cruality's little project, i've got a link in my sig for right now too haha

TopCup
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
oh wow, very cool article TopCup... i'm extremely pleased you're sharing. It seems they are indeed the same technology, and that's extremely exciting technology if you ask me. The ideas are so incredibly futuristic.. imagine an aircraft that's not trackable by radar (stealth) and also isn't visible in the sky. The Jet could technically hover around without anyone even having a clue. Of course, considering jets make sound sitting around won't really avoid complete attention but still. What will dog fights look like with this technology? New aircraft would need some sort of computer system that can detect the jets and literally outline the vehicle on their heads up display so that they can dogfight and counter the aircraft. The outline of the jet will also need to be extremely detailed so one could determine the front versus the rear of the jet. Exciting technological innovations if you ask me, I cannot wait to see some of the other tech coming out of the american camp

Cheers Cruality. Nice site set up, good colour scheme and I found this site very easy to navigate.

The British have got loads of stealth tchnology, different to the Americans, I can post it here if you want, however its more about Tanks, should I post it in a different Thread?

Cruality
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey what's up bud, I don't think anyone will mind if you drop the information here. If you'd like you could also put it in the Ground/land forces section. I'm really interested to see stealth technology on tanks, never seen any information on it.