PDA

View Full Version : Eight US 'CIA agents' killed in Afghanistan bomb attack

GTFPDQ
12-31-2009, 02:01 AM
Eight Americans reportedly working for the CIA have died in a bomb attack in Afghanistan, the worst against US intelligence officials since 2001.

A bomber wearing an explosive vest entered Forward Operating Base Chapman in Khost Province, near Pakistan.

A Taliban spokesman has said one of its members carried out the attack.

In a separate incident, four Canadian soldiers and a journalist died when their vehicle was blown up in the south-eastern province of Kandahar.

It is the worst fatal incident affecting Canadians in Afghanistan for more than two years.

'Award-winning reporter'

The journalist has been identified as Michelle Lang, 34, from the Calgary Herald, who had just arrived on her first assignment in the country.

The armoured vehicle the group were travelling in was touring local reconstruction projects.

Map

An award-winning health reporter, her colleagues at the newspaper were said to have been devastated by the news of the death of Ms Lang, who was recently engaged to be married and described as bright, quick-witted and kind.

"We are all very saddened to hear this tragic news," Alberta Health Minister Ron Liepert said in a statement. "Michelle covered health issues with professionalism, accuracy and thoroughness."

The BBC's Lee Carter, in Toronto, says the deaths will add to the conviction felt by many Canadians that the country has carried a disproportion number of casualties - which has now reached a total of 138 people - especially in comparison to some European Nato allies.

Remote areas

A Taliban spokesman has said the group was responsible for the suicide bomb attack at Chapman Base.

Speaking to the BBC, Zabiullah Mujahid claimed that the bomber was also an Afghan soldier and was wearing uniform when he managed to breach security at the base.

Initially, the dead Americans in Khost were described simply as civilians, but they were later reported to be affiliated to the CIA.

The BBC's Kim Ghattas in Washington says the exact nature of their role is not year clear but some of those killed may have been contractors to the agency.

ANALYSIS
Kim Ghattas
Kim Ghattas, Washington
It is probably the deadliest attack against US intelligence officials since the start of the war in 2001.

What was unusual about this attack was that the suicide bomber was able to detonate his explosives inside the base. In the past, such attacks would have mostly killed Afghan labourers lined up outside a base, looking for work.

There will be a lots of questions asked about this attack - how exactly, for example, did the attacker manage to infiltrate the base, was it perhaps an inside job and did he get help from Afghans on the base?

The CIA has been increasing its presence in Afghanistan and is involved in work ranging from counter terrorism to counter narcotics. It also operates the unmanned aircraft used in aerial strikes against al-Qaeda fighters in the border areas of Pakistan.

Reports suggested the attacker struck inside the gym at the base. It is not clear how many people were injured.

"We mourn the loss of life in this attack, and are withholding further details pending notification of next of kin," US State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said.

A spokesman for Isaf, the international Nato force in Afghanistan, said that "no US and no Isaf military personnel were killed or injured" in the incident.

Khost province - which is one of the Taliban's strongholds - has been targeted by militants over the past year.

The number of foreign civilians deployed in Afghanistan has been rising as international efforts there focus increasingly on development and aid.

Civilians work alongside military reconstruction teams at provincial bases around the country.

A "civilian surge" was one of the three core elements of the new US strategy for Afghanistan announced by US President Barack Obama at the beginning of the month.

This has been the deadliest year for foreign troops since the 2001 invasion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8435502.stm

nuckfutz
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
R.I.P. 8 American civilians and 4 Canadian soldiers and 1 reporter.
nuckfutz
Newmarket, Ontario
Canada

Toki
12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
They'll get theirs.

Krew
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
One of the eight CIA agents was a double agent and blew himself up with the other seven agents.

dmaxx3500
01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
i thought the guy that blew himself up was a jordain doctor that really was a double agent[he also had something to do with al-quida's internet site] 1 of the civilans was an ex-seal working security for blackwater for the c.i.a.[ap news at noon during ''rush limbaugh''],,the c.i.a. has been deeply involved in afghanistan since we went in in oct-nov,2001

eas1990
01-14-2010, 03:27 AM
This is the kinda crap that makes some us willing and obligated to join, i ship this june and hopefully i can kill some of these ingrates

nastyleg
01-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Well son if you wanna talk about deployments or going off to basic come talk to me via PM

Toki
01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Well son if you wanna talk about deployments or going off to basic come talk to me via PM

Can we first tell him to hit Gold's Gym for a month or two before?

Markoxx
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Very sad, wondering how the hell did the suicide fucker make it inside the base without searching him, that was a stupid thing. anyway RIP for the fallen lets hope this wont happen again. I remember in Iraq we never trusted the agents even if they were good with us, we were always careful.

nastyleg
01-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Very sad, wondering how the hell did the suicide fucker make it inside the base without searching him, that was a stupid thing. anyway RIP for the fallen lets hope this wont happen again. I remember in Iraq we never trusted the agents even if they were good with us, we were always careful.

All he has to do is I am with the CIA bullshit and away he went.