PDA

View Full Version : Eeverest was a mental challenge. My leg's designed for walking on the flat

Scott
12-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Eeverest was a mental challenge. My leg's designed for walking on the flat

MILLIES hero Ben McBean has admitted he was pushed to the brink of quitting as he took on the world's highest mountain.

By DUNCAN LARCOMBE
Defence Editor

Published: 18 Dec 2009

Ben - a double amputee - overcame crippling muscle spasms, altitude sickness and the mental agony of walking with a prosthetic leg on Mount Everest.

Speaking exclusively to The Sun, the 22-year-old Royal Marine told of his challenging expedition just two days after winning The Sun's Millie Award for Overcoming Adversity.

Ben, who has already taken on the London Marathon this year, said: "The marathon was physically very tough. It was very painful and every mile felt like a dozen.

"But there was a crowd there cheering me on and I just kept going.

"Everest was a mental challenge. My leg is designed for walking on flat terrain, on floors and pavements.

"But on the mountain the terrain was rocky and uneven. I had to concentrate on every step, which made it a real mental challenge.

"Walking with a prosthetic leg takes a whole new set of muscles. As a result it uses up about three times as much effort and energy."

Ben lost his right leg and left arm in a landmine explosion in Afghanistan last year.

After 13 operations - with one still to come to remove shrapnel - he is determined to focus on what he can do, rather than what he can't.

Ben said: "One moment I was sprinting across the desert and the next I just heard a boom.
"My face felt really hot and I was upside down. I looked across and saw my leg stood by itself ten yards away."

Despite his horrific injuries, Ben has never let it destroy his spirit.

He added: "I cried for about a minute in the hospital and that was it.

"I could have given up, saying 'I've been blown up and my life's a misery'. But I'm 22 and I'll probably live until I'm 90, knowing my luck.

"There's no point in whingeing for another 60 or 70 years. I've just got to crack on with life."

After Ben was blown up he was flown back to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham for major surgery.

He was on the same flight as Prince Harry, who was on his way back from a ten-week tour of duty.

The young Royal dubbed him a hero. But the modest Marine said: "I'm not a hero.

I was just the idiot who stood on a mine which blew me up, hurt another guy and caused loads of grief for everyone.

"The guys who helped me out and the surgeons who put me right are the real heroes."

This year he raised £13,000 for the Sun-backed Help for Heroes charity by completing the London Marathon.

It was for this enormous achievement - and incredible strength in the face of adversity - that our judges awarded Ben a Millie.

However, last night he admitted that the marathon was far easier than the challenge to make it 29 miles to base camp at an altitude of 17,600ft on Mount Everest.

Explaining why he took part in the latest adventure, Ben said: "My aim was to be a Marine, have a career and go out to Afghanistan again.
"All of a sudden a massive 50million-feet wall was chucked in front of me and I just had to try to get over it."

Ben decided to join the Khumbu Challenge - an assault on Everest by 88 Royal Navy servicemen.

Ben was one of 19 wounded Royal Marines trying to come to terms with the appalling trauma of their injuries as they took on some of the most unforgiving terrain on the planet.

The trek took place in October but this is the first time details of what happened have been made public.

Next week the whole story will be told in two-part documentary War Torn Warriors, at 9pm on Sky1 next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Prince Harry, the Royal patron of the Khumbu Challenge, saw Ben at our Millie awards on Tuesday.

Last night Harry paid tribute to all the lads on the adventure.

He said: "It is very humbling for anybody, no matter what situation you're in, no matter who you are. You can't help but just be totally in awe of these guys.

"The braveness and strength they have is mind-boggling.

"These guys are throwing themselves into the line of fire for no other reason apart from the fact that they're doing it for their country and they're doing it for the guy to the left and the guy to their right.

"It's indescribable what they put themselves through. I think these guys are a massive example to everybody.

"The way they have fought back to continue with their lives, no matter what age, is just truly unbelievable to see. It makes me very proud to be British."

Bisley_Bob
12-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Good on him, it's really reassuring seeing lads like him, and Phil Packer doing these awesome challenges. It reassures me a bit that if I get badly damaged out there I can still do stuff with myself.