PDA

View Full Version : They gave their live's to save 1,000

Scott
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
TWO heroic British soldiers sacrificed their lives to prevent a massacre of more than 1,000 innocent civilians, it emerged last night.

By DUNCAN LARCOMBE
Defence Editor,
and DAVID WILLETTS

Published: Today

Lance Corporal David Kirkness, 24, and Rifleman James Brown, 18, bravely stood their ground as a motorbike carrying two Taliban suicide bombers raced towards their checkpoint.

The bombers were hell-bent on causing carnage in a crowded marketplace in Afghanistan. But when confronted by the Brit soldiers, they panicked and detonated their devices early - away from the crowd.

The blast killed L/Cpl Kirkness and Rfn Brown, both of 3rd Battalion The Rifles, as well as two Afghan soldiers working alongside the British Army. Rfn Brown's death came less than two weeks after he was sent to the front line.

Two other Afghan soldiers were badly wounded at the vehicle checkpoint on the outskirts of Sangin in Helmand province in the attack on Tuesday lunchtime.

The British pair's commanding officer last night paid tribute to his men - and said comrades took comfort and pride from the fact that they had prevented "a much larger tragedy".

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson added: "Their sacrifice prevented two suicide bombers from reaching their intended target, the bustling and ever more prosperous Sangin bazaar, packed with local Afghans going about their daily business."

If the bombers had made it into the market, the attack would have been one of the most devastating since the war in Afghanistan began.

A senior source at the Ministry of Defence told The Sun: "There is no doubt this was a planned attempt to wreak carnage in a very busy town centre.

"The daily market in Sangin has at least 200 stalls. The attack was timed for lunchtime when there would have been at least 1,000 people crammed into a small space."

The checkpoint - thought to consist of nothing but a small hut, some barbed wire and a stop sign - was set up precisely to prevent that kind of attack on locals.

The MoD source added: "There is an investigation to establish exactly what happened.

"However, it is clear the men on the checkpoint stood their ground rather than trying to run and save themselves. We do not know if they even had time to fire their weapons."

A British medical evacuation helicopter landed nearby despite coming under fire, but medics were unable to save L/Cpl Kirkness, from Morley, West Yorks, and Rfn Brown, from Orpington, Kent.

Advertisement

Lt Col Kitson and Afghan National Army commander Colonel Wadood yesterday visited the Sangin market to reassure local people, as tributes to L/Cpl Kirkness and Rfn Brown poured in.

L/Cpl Kirkness, who joined 3 Rifles in March 2004, had studied the local Pashtu language before being sent to Afghanistan in October so that he could communicate with the locals. He leaves behind a three-year-old daughter Brooke.

His parents Christopher and Margaret said: "If you knew David, you had to love him - it was impossible not to. And in David's own words, 'If you didn't know me, hard luck.' He will always be in our hearts." Comrades hailed him as "the life and soul" of his platoon and a "professional with a massive heart".

Major James Richardson said: "He was multi-talented and was always at the centre of things - not because he craved attention but because people naturally gathered around him, such was his warmth."

Afghanistan Map

Corporal Richard Green said: "A true friend and a hero is how I remember Kirky. A born joker one minute, but the most serious and diligent soldier I have had the honour to serve with."

Lt Col Kitson said of Rfn Brown, nicknamed J: "He had been with us for a very short time but had already made a lasting impression with his immense courage, confidence and talent for making people laugh."

The soldier's dad Stephen, 51, said: "I feel utterly numb that this family's hero has been taken at the age of just 18, but we will raise a glass to James on Christmas Day. He deserves that and he would love that.

"When I heard he had put himself in harm's way to save others I was not the least bit surprised. I couldn't be more proud of my son. He was a hero.

"I will never get to meet the people he saved but to lose your son in such terrible circumstances and know how heroic he was makes it feel a little better." Seven Afghan civilians - five of them women - were killed yesterday when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in Kandahar province. Three other passengers were wounded.

HERO soldier Sgt Gavin Harvey, 26 - who lost both legs in a bomb blast in Helmand in August - yesterday opened a new £5.8million gym and rehab centre for wounded service personnel at Tidworth garrison, Wilts.

dmaxx3500
12-18-2009, 11:05 PM
r.i.p. warriors

Toki
12-18-2009, 11:22 PM
RIP. It's amazing that the Taliban want to "win" over their people by blowing them up.

ghost
12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
RIP. It's amazing that the Taliban want to "win" over their people by blowing them up.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "winning over their people". More like scaring them into submission...

nastyleg
12-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Damn shame they died. Glad to see that they are getting the recognition they need. Great post Scott.

cormack
12-19-2009, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it "winning over their people". More like scaring them into submission...

nicely put short n sweet rip soldiers

wardog99s
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
May there names live on forever,never to be forgotten.
RIP