PDA

View Full Version : 2 studies: PTSD is chemical change in brain

bobdina
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
2 studies: PTSD is chemical change in brain

By Kelly Kennedy - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Dec 8, 2009 16:26:09 EST

Two new studies seem to provide more evidence that post-traumatic stress disorder is a chemical change in the brain caused by trauma — and that it might be possible to diagnose, treat and predict susceptibility to it based on brain scans or blood tests.

In one study, Christine Marx, of the Duke University Medical Center and Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, wondered why PTSD, depression and pain often occur together.

Researchers already knew that people with PTSD show changes in their neurosteroids, which are brain chemicals thought to play a role in how the body responds to stress.

Previous animal studies showed that blood neurosteroid levels correlated to brain neurosteroid levels, so Marx measured the blood neurosteroid levels of 90 male Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. She found that the neurosteroid levels correlated to symptom severity in PTSD, depression and pain issues, and that those levels might be used to predict how a person reacts to therapy as well as to help develop new therapies.
read more here- http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/12/military_ptsd_diagnosis_120809w/

nastyleg
12-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Bob I dont know what to say...this article is amazing. I am very interested in this. I will bring it up with local VA to see what is going on with it.

Mel
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Bob, Did they discover a drug to help. Or have they just discovered the cause? Good article btw.

daboy233
12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
great information

daboy233
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Bob, Did they discover a drug to help. Or have they just discovered the cause? Good article btw.

there is a lot of articles about ptsd and marijuana. for me i dont want to be a zombie on meds, the pot seems to work :) (in moderation)

TangoMango
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
You arnt in a coma with meds...lol they just balance out the cerotonin levels in your brain, but they can be addicting :freakout:

TangoMango
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Great article, bout time they are getting somewhere!

GTFPDQ
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
At least they have shown the chemical link now, better meds should be on the way in the next 5 years or so.

Until then we can suffer a little bit longer.