PDA

View Full Version : 2 of 3 accused SEALs to appear in court Monday

bobdina
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
2 of 3 accused SEALs to appear in court Monday

By Larry O’Dell - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Dec 7, 2009 5:23:23 EST

RICHMOND, Va. — Two Navy SEALs are scheduled to be arraigned Monday in military court on charges that they mistreated an Iraqi suspect in the gory slayings of four U.S. contractors in Fallujah.

One of the SEALs is accused of punching the detainee after his September arrest, while the other is accused of lying to investigators. A third SEAL also accused of lying to investigators about the episode will be arraigned later.

All three men have men have received an outpouring of support from people who view them as heroes. A Facebook page created to support the SEALs had more than 45,000 members as of Friday, and a California congressman is spearheading a campaign to persuade Defense Secretary Robert Gates to intervene.

Special Warfare Operator 2nd Class 2nd Class Matthew McCabe of Perrysburg, Ohio, and Special Warfare Operator 2nd Class 2nd Class Jonathan Keefe of Yorktown, Va., and Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Julio Huertas of Blue Island, Ill., face courts-martial at a date to be determined. Keefe’s arraignment has been continued.

The men refused an administrative process known as “nonjudicial punishment” because they feared unfair treatment by military brass, said Neal Puckett, an attorney for McCabe.

“They felt they had already been determined to be guilty,” said Puckett.

By refusing to accept the reprimand, the men could face a more serious penalty at court-martial, which will be determined by a six-person military jury.

If the men are convicted, they could face up to a year in a military jail, a bad conduct discharge or loss of pay, said Puckett, a retired Marine Corps officer and judge advocate.

McCabe, 24, is charged with assault. All three men also are charged with dereliction of duty and lying to investigators, and Huertas is charged with impeding an investigation.

Puckett said the charges stem from an alleged “punch in the gut” after the SEALs captured the Iraqi in early September. Puckett said the men are not guilty, and that he also has been bombarded with calls and e-mails from people who say that even if the detainee was punched, it’s “a minor affront” compared to what he is suspected of doing.

Army Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, a spokeswoman for the military’s Special Operations Command Center, urged the public to withhold judgment until the evidence is heard.

“This is much more involved than the defense would lead you to believe,” Silkman said.

Ahmed Hashim Abed is believed to be connected to the 2004 killings of four Blackwater security guards who were protecting a convoy when they were attacked by Iraqi insurgents. Their burned corpses were dragged through the city, and two of them were hung from a bridge over the Euphrates River.

A military official confirmed that Abed is the detainee who claimed he was assaulted. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the detainee publicly.

U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., wrote a letter to Gates last week expressing “grave concerns” about the prosecution of the SEALs. More than two dozen of Hunter’s colleagues signed the letter, saying military officials overreacted.

“As we understand it, there was no allegation of torture or abuse,” Hunter wrote.

Charging documents were not released because they contain classified information, Silkman said, so details about the alleged offenses remain sketchy. The SEALs, based at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek in Norfolk, are not in custody.

ghost
12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Such bullshit. Reminds me of what Marcus Luttrell said about an op that he went on while he was in the SEALs. They searched a house(for weapons/IEDs...etc), and came across a Quran. He has to go find the woman of the house, and have her remove it so he can continue searching. The house comes up clean, until they check the cars outside. They test them for explosive residue, and come up positive, so they torch the cars. Great operation, no one had to die, no one got hurt. A couple days after that, his CO talks to him about it, and said that the woman of the house complained so much after they left, about them "breaking her arm", and "throwing the Quran in the toilet", and "stealing money". This makes it's way around to everyone(local news, military, US media...etc). So because of this made up story, his team gets shut down for two weeks. Bullshit.

One of the most powerful military forces in the world, and the only thing you have to do to stop them is complain....

bobdina
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
What I truly find revolting is the brass automatically believes these pieces of shit and it's on the troops to prove their innocent. I was under the impression you are innocent till proven guilty. If the brass stopped encouraging these lying pieces of pig turds then the complaints would go down because they gain nothing from making false claims. Our men in suits don't realize the pig turds are still going to use these incidents of make believe as a propaganda tool, so why play into the pig turds hands and make such a big deal over a supposed punch in the stomach. As you can see I am continuing on my revolt against PC.

TangoMango
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
The Navy Seals should each be given a slap on the wrist because they failed to kill the bastards when they had the chance. The Obama administration should all be ashamed of themselves ( and gotten rid of ASAP) for allowing these three guys to be charged.

bobdina
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
By Mark D. Faram - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Dec 8, 2009 8:58:42 EST

NORFOLK, Va. — The Navy SEAL charged with assaulting an alleged terrorist in Iraq in September declined to enter a plea during his Monday arraignment here, then took the unusual step of speaking to supporters and the media after the proceedings.

“Neither I or any of my teammates did what they are accusing us of,” Special Warfare Operator 2nd Class (SEAL) Matthew McCabe told the group gathered at Norfolk Naval Station’s Gate 5. “If I had agreed to non-judicial punishment, I don’t believe I would have gotten a fair trial. I believe that in a trial, when all the evidence is heard, I will be acquitted.”

Still, McCabe, through his lawyer, Neal Puckett, declined to enter a plea. His trial was set for Jan. 19 in Norfolk. Along with the assault charge, McCabe also faces charges of dereliction of duty and making a false official statement.

“It’s routine not to enter a plea until all motions are heard,” Puckett said after the hearing. Puckett did request that charges against McCabe be read aloud in court, officially naming the alleged victim as Ahmed Hashim Abed, who the U.S. thinks masterminded the 2004 ambush in Fallujah in which four Blackwater security contractors were hanged and burned.The military accuses McCabe of striking Hashim in the midsection in Camp Schweidler, Iraq, not long after SEALs captured the man.

Also arraigned Monday was SO1 (SEAL) Julio Antonio Hertas Jr., who pleaded not guilty to charges of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement and impeding an investigation. His trial was set for Jan. 11.

A third SEAL, SO2 (SEAL) Jonathan Elliot Keefe, was not arraigned Monday; no date has been set for that proceeding. All three men belong to SEAL Team 10, based at Little Creek, Va.

Huertas’ attorney, Monica Lombardi, and Puckett deferred making a decision on behalf of their clients on whether to request a court-martial to be tried by a judge alone or by jury.

“The main reason is that we have not been provided any evidence,” Lombardi said. “You can’t really choose which type of courts-martial you want without knowing what the evidence is.”

The Judge, Capt. Moira Modzelewski, who will preside over McCabe’s trial, also set a protective order, limiting what can be discussed publicly about the case.

“She issued a protective order on evidence that we have not even seen,” Lombardi said. “They claim they are doing a classified review, and sources have told me that they are completing that review.”

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/12/navy_seal_arraignment_120709w/

xkennyx91x
12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
http://gopetition.com/online/32541.html

its to cease and desist the prosecution

TangoMango
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I signed yesterday!!!!

acf6
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I just signed!!!

ghost
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Signed

SMR
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Signed

DeltaNiner
12-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Quite appaled by the behaviour of these operators. How was this lump of fecal matter calling himself Ahmed Hashim allowed to walk away alive.

Signed

SMR
12-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Quite appaled by the behaviour of these operators. How was this lump of fecal matter calling himself Ahmed Hashim allowed to walk away alive.

+1