PDA

View Full Version : Mom not using baby to skip duty, lawyer says

Stark
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
An Army mother who refused to go to Afghanistan because she failed to get someone to care for her son wants the military to discharge her rather than enforce a policy that thousands of single mothers have abided by.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, was to depart Nov. 5 with her unit of the 3rd Infantry Division from Fort Stewart, Ga. She refused after her mother declined to care for Hutchinson's 10-month-old son, Kamani.

Her lawyer insists that Hutchinson is genuinely stuck and not using her child to get out of duty.

Under Army policy, soldiers who cannot find a suitable caregiver may be disciplined or honorably discharged.

"These women are given a choice which is a very bad one to face: deploying and abandoning your children, or refusing your orders and facing charges," says Hutchinson's civilian lawyer, Rai Sue Sussman. "I think (the Army has) shown ... a lack of understanding for a young soldier, a young mother, in a difficult situation."

The Army says Hutchinson may have acted improperly in her handling of the situation and is not entitled to be treated differently from other women.

"There are thousands of soldiers that have similar circumstances," Fort Stewart spokesman Kevin Larson said. "They're single parents. They do the right thing. They prepare for their deployment. They fulfill their sworn duty."

More than 30,000 single mothers have deployed to the two most recent wars, according to a study by Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

An Army cook, Hutchinson turned herself in to military police the day after she was supposed to deploy.

Hutchinson was ordered held, and her son was placed in a protective service until Hutchinson's mother could fly from Oakland the next day to care for him.

Hutchinson is confined to the base, awaiting the result of an Army investigation.

Larson said Hutchinson was detained because her command "became aware of additional information" and concluded that there may have been "alleged misconduct" on her part. He would not elaborate.

The Army generally gives mothers enough time to formulate a written plan for care of the children before a deployment, Army spokesman Wayne Hall said.

Sussman says Hutchinson has done all she can to find a caregiver and wants a discharge.

While not speaking directly about Hutchinson's case, Hall said a unit's commanding officer generally oversees a court-martial. Hutchinson's unit is now in Afghanistan, which means she could end up there after all.

lace38
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
hello, she volunteered for service didn't she? She knew that the odds of her deploying were high. What part of being a soldier didn't she understand?

bobdina
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
hello, she volunteered for service didn't she? She knew that the odds of her deploying were high. What part of being a soldier didn't she understand?

When this story first broke a couple of weeks ago it was said the mother of the soldier had volunteered to take her child so she could deploy. Her mother ran a day care out of the house and was taking care of 6 children I think it was (Will look for the initial thread for it). Right before she was supposed to deploy mom said she couldn't handle the kid.
First thread- http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5077

second thread- http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5260

So this is not so cut and dry. If she had wanted to get out of the Army being a single mom she could have went the Hardship Discharge which I'm sure she would have gotten,

lace38
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
any info as to where the father of this child is? Wonder if he's military, also.

MickDonalds
12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
She had the time to formulate the plan.

She enlisted, knowing she would have to go to war.

She's expecting to be treated special because she's a single parent.
-That's wrong.

It sounds like she didn't find her Chaplain or someone in a higher echelon to tell them about her problem. Chaplains deal with this all the time, and she could have been temporarily stationed stateside until the problem worked itself out.
-Looks like she let it slide until flyout day and then stayed home

Now she tells the ARMY to give her exactly what she wants, which is out.
-WRONG

This is cut and dry people. It's her fault, and I don't care if she's young. She joined, she knew the rules and from the sounds of it, broke them. Put her on shit details until she learns her place.

bobdina
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
From the first thread

Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson’s superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care.

She said they told her daughter’s commanders they needed more time to find another family member or close friend to help Hughes care for the boy, but Hutchinson was ordered to deploy on schedule.

Kevin Larson, a spokesman for Hunter Army Airfield, said he didn’t know what Hutchinson was told by her commanders, but he said the Army would not deploy a single parent who had nobody to care for his or her child.

If she had planned this as a way to get out of the Army she would have received a hardship discharge because she's a single mom. Like I said to Eric I can see some bone headed 2LT telling her he/she doesn't care about her problems everyone has them ,just get squared away for deployment.
So until I start seeing the official documents there is no way I believe this is a cut and dry case. There is entirely too much going on here, If we were talking about a soldier(no children involved) that would be a cut and dry case. This one may be too but until I here what her OIC or NCOIC said and how much they knew about this , it falls under my category of not second guessing people unless I'm there with them.

The father is not involved with the child or mother at all. I can't remember but I don't think he was military.

TangoMango
12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
That was my last duty station, there were a few cases like this, this isnt the only one. thats why i think its funny this one made news.

nastyleg
12-04-2009, 02:47 AM
If a dumbass 2LT is being just that then I see no problem letting her go. If she said ohhh my mom will take care of the child and left it at that without a back up(which they make you do)then it falls on her. Until we get more facts from both sides it is a he said she said moment.

bobdina
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
If a dumbass 2LT is being just that then I see no problem letting her go. If she said ohhh my mom will take care of the child and left it at that without a back up(which they make you do)then it falls on her. Until we get more facts from both sides it is a he said she said moment.

Very true