PDA

View Full Version : Suspected US troop remains sent home from Vietnam

bobdina
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Suspected US troop remains sent home from Vietnam

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) -- Remains believed to be those of four American servicemen killed during the Vietnam War were loaded on a plane Tuesday and flown back to the United States for identification.

U.S. honor guards carried the four American flag-draped aluminum cases holding the remains onto the U.S. military transport plane at Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi. The remains were headed to a lab in Hawaii for forensic testing.

One set of remains was recovered by joint excavation teams in the northern province of Ninh Binh over the past month. The other three - one from northern Lang Son province and the others from the Central Highlands, were handed over by Vietnamese citizens, said Ron Ward, spokesman for the U.S. Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command detachment in Hanoi.

Ward said all four sets of remains are believed to belong to American servicemen who died in plane crashes.

"The relationship we currently enjoy between the United States and Vietnam was originally built using the MIA issue as a bridge," he said. "Now, of course, we have a very dynamic relationship, but the MIA issue continues to be a very important part of our bilateral relationship."

The United States and Vietnam have been working together to account for missing U.S. servicemen since the 1980s. Nearly 650 remains have been identified after being recovered from Vietnam.

Nearly 1,800 U.S. servicemen are still unaccounted for throughout Southeast Asia following the Vietnam War, which ended in 1975. Some 1,335 are unaccounted for in Vietnam alone.

http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/stories/A/AS_VIETNAM_US_REMAINS_REPATRIATION?SITE=DCSAS&SECTION=HOME&TE

bobdina
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Even though I was too young for this war to remember it first hand(t.v, papers) these kinds of articles always bring at least 1 tear to my eyes. One thing for sure at least we're still looking for those missing. I mean it's the least we can to for those warriors this country looked down upon for so long and did not support. It would have been great for them to at the minimum have a unit redeployment ceremony when they came home, but those supposedly in charge at the time felt is was ok to go over there as individual replacements, unless you went when the unit originally deployed and to come home individually. And then receive a fucked up homecoming from long haired smelly jackass motherfuckin hippies. This is one generation of warriors this country screwed.

Mel
12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
BRAVO...Bob.Excellent post,And even better reply. Like you I was just a kid at the end of this war when these Warriors came home.It broke my heart to see how they were treated.

GTFPDQ
12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
A sad but heart warming story. They are home now and can rest easy.

I was a 5 year old when it started up for real, and 12 when it was over for the US. It made me want to join the Military, and I did 5 years later. One of my bucket list items is to visit the Wall and pay my respects to those lost and those still living.

acf6
12-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Good post Bob and an Awesome reply!!!