PDA

View Full Version : Afghan Combat Medic Course taught by Canadian Forces mentors, U.S. Army medics

bobdina
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Combat Medic Course taught by Canadian Forces mentors, U.S. Army medics

By Captain Lena Angell

Under a warm sun, 38 Afghan soldiers proudly received certificates of achievement for successfully completing the Combat Medic Course on 19 November 2009. The 38 soldiers from the 1st Brigade, 205 Corps, Afghan National Army (1/205 ANA) spent eight weeks learning life-saving medical techniques from three medical mentors from the Canadian Forces, and preventive health measures from U.S. Army medics.

“I would like to express my sincere thanks to the Canadians and Unites States soldiers for the training they have provided for our soldiers and the patience they have exhibited throughout the course,” said Major Abdullah Majid Kherkaw, a surgeon serving with the 1/205 ANA. “The training that these medics received is critical, allowing them to support their brothers in arms and save lives. Our challenge is that we do not have enough doctors in the ANA, so having qualified medics is an essential asset.”

Conducted at Camp Hero, the ANA camp near Kandahar Airfield, the Combat Medic Course focussed on trauma care, including tourniquets, bandaging, treatment of shock, and intravenous administration of medication. The U.S Army medics taught field sanitation and preventive medicine. ANA soldiers holding the combat medic qualification receive extra pay.

One of the medical mentors teaching the Combat Medic Course was health care administrator Lieutenant (Navy) James Barnes, one of about 200 Canadian Forces members currently deployed with the Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

“This course will give the ANA medics the opportunity to provide immediate on-site medical care to their soldiers. I’m extremely proud to see them graduate today after watching them develop their skills over the past two months,” said Lt(N) Barnes. “As a mentor, I found this experience very rewarding and events like this graduation are a mark of progress in the development and training of the ANA.”.

The Combat Medic Course has been delivered before, but this serial was the first to be certified by the National Kabul Military Training Centre, the establishment responsible for standardizing training across the ANA.

Captain Lena Angell is the Public Affairs Officer deployed in Kandahar Province with the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group and the Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2009/11/27-eng.asp

nastyleg
12-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Very glad to see to them take a long course so they can build confidence in the skills they learned.

bobdina
12-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Get paid more and with more qualified medics the troops will feel much more confident in the fight since they know they have trained medics with them.

GTFPDQ
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Good news, well done to the trainers and the trainees.