PDA

View Full Version : UK Kate Nesbitt, Military Cross, Afghanistan

bobdina
11-28-2009, 05:15 PM
The Military Cross (MC) is the third level military decoration awarded to officers and (since 1993) other ranks of the British Armed Forces and formerly also to officers of other Commonwealth countries.

The MC is granted in recognition of "an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land to all members, of any rank in Our Armed Forces

Kate Nesbitt, a medical assistant, braved Taleban fire to tend a comrade shot in the neck during a gun battle in Afghanistan in March this year.

The medic, of Whitleigh in Plymouth, Devon, dressed the wound and kept the soldier from losing blood while bullets and rockets flew overhead in Marjah district in Helmand Province.

After receiving her medal from the Prince of Wales, she said: “When it all happened we were in the middle of an operation but I wouldn’t in a million years have thought anyone would follow it up. It was the biggest shock when I got the news.

“It made it all seem real being here today. It has been so special. When I looked over and saw my mum and dad in the audience, it was the proudest day of my life.”