PDA

View Full Version : Firm Must pay Vet $445G Over Firing

bobdina
11-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Firm Must pay Vet $445G Over Firing
November 27, 2009
The Sun, Lowell, Massachusetts

BOSTON -- A federal jury has awarded an Iraq war veteran $445,000 in a military discrimination suit against a Tyngsboro, Mass., fire-safety company.

A jury in Boston's U.S. District Court found that Stephen Fryer, a member of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, was discriminated against by the owners of A.S.A.P. Fire and Safety Corp. Inc. of 90 Progress Ave., Tyngsboro.

Fryer worked for the company when he was deployed to Iraq in February 2007. After he returned from Iraq in May 2008, the company's owners, Joseph Sheedy and Brian Cote, did not reinstate Fryer in his previous job, as is required by the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, according to court documents.

USERRA is a federal law that protects the employment rights of military personnel.

Fryer, 43, of Jaffrey, N.H., was rehired by the company in July 2008 to a lower position in the company. After requesting reinstatement to the job he held before being deployed to Iraq, Fryer was fired.

After the verdict, Fryer released a prepared statement: "This lawsuit is not just for me and my family, but for all members of the armed services and their families. When soldiers come home from fighting in the Middle East, they should not have to fight their employers to get their jobs back."

Sheedy and Cote could not be reached by telephone for comment yesterday.

After the evidence portion of the trial closed Monday afternoon, Fryer received another deployment notice. He and his National

Guard unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next summer, according to a statement from his lawyer's office.

nastyleg
11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I am very happy for him and his victory over douchbag companies like this....I am trying to get my soldiers gilfriend to sue her former employer for the same thing but it is up to her and not me.

bobdina
11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
It's about time these are starting to turn Vet's ways.

MickDonalds
11-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Good. Make 'em pay. They can pay some more too.

acf6
11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Glad he won!! Hate jackass companies like this that screw over our vets!!

GTFPDQ
11-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Cant renege on a promise that is based on a mans life.

Mel
11-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Not only is it morally right...It's the law! Does it really surprise any one they were not able to contact them by phone. :nono: Bob,did he get his job back,Or just the settlement? Glad they got pounded.

bobdina
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Not only is it morally right...It's the law! Does it really surprise any one they were not able to contact them by phone. :nono: Bob,did he get his job back,Or just the settlement? Glad they got pounded.

Your also supposed to get your job back but he may think it's a moot point as he been alerted for another deployment 6months out. I know I would be spending some of that money with my wife before I left not telling her the reason why but you have to be realistic something bad can happen to you being in the military, not just in combat but pre-deployment training as well.

Mel
11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Your also supposed to get your job back but he may think it's a moot point as he been alerted for another deployment 6months out. I know I would be spending some of that money with my wife before I left not telling her the reason why but you have to be realistic something bad can happen to you being in the military, not just in combat but pre-deployment training as well.

Your right Bob,I was just hoping the court set a good precedent for the next guy.