PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs change disabled Iraqis' lives

nastyleg
11-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Wheelchairs change disabled Iraqis' lives
Wednesday, 25 November 2009

BAGHDAD — U.S. forces answered a call from Dr. Qays Ibrahim Rashid, owner of the Radwaniyah area Qays medical clinic, who requested wheelchairs for mobility impaired patients in the area, Nov. 22.

When the Soldiers of 150th Armored Reconnaissance Squadron, 30th Heavy Brigade Combat Team arrived at the clinic, they saw disabled men, women and children; some struggling and crawling on the floor; some being carried in.

"The most important thing for me is helping the people," said Rashid. "There are 17 people here and three more on the way to receive the chairs, and one is a victim of war."

The chairs were distributed through “Free Wheelchair Mission,” an international non-profit organization that provides wheelchairs for impoverished disabled people around the world. Their mission is to provide not only the gift of mobility, but of dignity, independence, and hope; all of which were gained by recipients at the Qays clinic.

The father of a disabled girl, Najie Hamad Alewi, spoke of how Rashid came by his house to inform him of the drop.

"Dr. Qays works very hard,” he said. “He came to my house at 10 o'clock last night to make sure I would be here today. I thank U.S. forces and any organization that's helping us out."

Alewi cannot speak, and due to a soft bone deformity, she does not have use of her legs. Her father explained that they had to carry her around. When he is working, her mother carries the 16-year-old girl.

People opened up to civil affairs non-commissioned officer, Staff Sgt. Stephen Matthews, of St. Louis, with stories similar to Alewi's. The people spoke to him about the struggles of lifting grown men, women or children to get them around the village.

Bida Hashim Mohammed, an 8-year-old girl, was shot in both legs during an al-Qaeda attack three years ago. Her right leg was amputated just below the knee and her mother showed Matthews scar tissue from a bullet still lodged in the back of her left leg.

"It's nice to be able to help an eight-year-old little girl shot up by al-Qaeda and provide her with a little relief," said Troop C Commander, Capt. Thomas Mills, of Winfield, W. Va.

Tisam Khzair Abda, a 20-year-old female who has been paralyzed since age eight, and her 7-year-old sister, Hamita Khzair Abda, who has soft bones, were among the group who received wheelchairs.

"God will pay you back for what you do, making her life easier," said the struggling mother of three. "God protect and save you for giving me the wheelchairs."

Izhar Alewi Sabah is a 10-year-old boy who cannot speak or walk. His mother said he was born disabled and that most of his time is spent in a room because they cannot carry him.

"He cries when he sees his brother and sister playing because he wants to play with them," the mother said. "I am happy. Thank you so, so much. Now he can have a social life."

Sitting on a mattress conformed into a chair-bed, 50-year-old Najari bin Jade Abbas has had no use of her legs since she had one kidney removed three years ago. Her only transportation has been the chair-bed, requiring two people to maneuver it. Now she has a new wheelchair.

Overwhelmed and in tears, Hamida Kahalaf, a 65-year-old stroke victim paralyzed on her right side, said, "I'm crying because I'm happy," as they lifted her into her new wheelchair.

"When you see a 65-year-old woman crawling around on her hands and knees to get around, it's unbelievable because you know that was her only option," said Mills. "Giving her a wheelchair is an amazing gift."

"Thank them for me; this is the best gift we have ever gotten," said the mother of Hind Jasim Mohammed, a 7-year-old quadriplegic.

"In America, you see a quadriplegic and you say, 'no brainer,’ get them a wheelchair," said Mills. "Here in this poverty-stricken society, the scarcity is stunning; to think a wheelchair would make that much of a difference in someone's life."

(By Spc. Ruth McClary, 30th Heavy Brigade Combat Team)

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28764&Itemid=128

bobdina
11-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Out fucking standing. Great story Eric.

nastyleg
11-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks Bob