PDA

View Full Version : Have I Lost My Grip On Reality?

MickDonalds
11-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Just wondering....Is it normal to LIKE being deployed? Or have I truly lost my grip on reality/sanity?

For a little bit of background; I'm currently serving on my second tour to Iraq. I was here through the downward spiral into chaos in 2004-2005, and although I made it out safely and returned home, that first tour was anything but "fun". Fast forward 4 years to 2009: In the time spanning deployments, I've gotten married, had a baby, graduated college, changed units-MOS's and moved. Now normally, a man leaving his wife and son at home for another year away from home shouldn't be honestly having the time of his life, right?

I'm just starting to wonder about myself because I've honestly had a GREAT, fun-filled tour. It's been easy here, and other than missing home, I haven't had to deal with any stress at all, and I feel completely confident and comfortable outside the wire as I do inside the wire. I've gotten to see some amazing places and take part in some very interesting missions. I almost think of this as more of a "tourist op" than I do "combat deployment".

Is there something wrong with me? I honestly love what I do, but NOBODY besides my closest battle buddy loves doing this as much as I do. I know I'm not brainwashed or indoctrinated, because the ARMY doesn't really "propogandize" soldiers for battle anymore. I honestly believe in what I'm doing but just wonder why I'm one of the few that LOVES being deployed...

nastyleg
11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
you are not alone I know of 200+ soldiers who want to be deployed......(56 MP Co)

MickDonalds
11-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Perhaps it's my outlook on life. Perhaps I'm more inclined to give more of my time and young life in order to help fight the war on terror. Perhaps when people don't believe in something, they think things aren't as easy as they really are. Or, perhaps I'm living in such better conditions than 4 years ago, that this is me feeling grateful.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why people think deployments are so awful, yet we've got it so ridiculously good here. Serving to make a pretty good paycheck and minimal worries seems pretty cut and dry to me.

gazzthompson
11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
My friend loves being deployed as well, hes a royal marine and has done a tour in afghanistan. its a rush, its why he joined. tho admitidley at the end of a tour he wan'ts a break....

MickDonalds
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
So I went home in late February, and I got my wish to come back. My superiors were like "You really want to go back? You like sweating every day and breathing sand?" I left home mid-May and just arrived back in Iraq last week. I actually had an easy time getting over here, which is a first! It's probably because EVERYONE is going to A'stan right now. I reported in to Baghdad, and then left for my new duty station. I love it here. I have a huge base to explore, plenty of time outside the wire again (short missions, 3-4 hours max) and I have my own trailer and bathroom. I've never had it so good, honestly. I feel guilty because there's joes in A'stan that are sleeping in dirt in a combat outpost somewhere in the mountains, but I did my time sleeping in sand and not having any amenities for a year+ . Iraq is EASY street you guys. I can say I love it here. Honestly.

@nasty: you got your marching orders yet? I know you want to deploy again...

Corndog
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
My touring days are over sadly. Do I miss them? you bet I do.

ianstone
06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Real life can be boring and lacks a sense of purpose.
We all need direction and challenges at the Sharpe end, I DID.

MickDonalds
06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Real life can be boring and lacks a sense of purpose.
We all need direction and challenges at the Sharpe end, I DID.

Exactly. I got home and was BORED. Spending time with my family is great, but when you're young and can give more of yourself, why not. Some guys are content only doing 1 or 2 tours, but not me. The dreamer in me wants 5 or 6. I won't regret what I didn't do when the chance presented itself.