PDA

View Full Version : Airmen to take stars overseas to entertain servicemembers for holidays

nastyleg
11-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Airmen to take stars overseas to entertain servicemembers for holidays

Posted 11/20/2009

11/20/2009 - ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFNS) -- Airmen will fly Kid Rock and his band to entertain American troops in Southwest Asia and families in Europe Nov. 30 to Dec. 12.

Kid Rock and the Twisted Brown Trucker Band will bring their unique blend of Southern rock, soul, country, heavy metal and hip hop music to American servicemembers and their families this holiday season when they headline Tour for the Troops 2009, formerly known as Operation Season's Greetings.

Joining them will be comedian Carlos Mencia, singer/songwriter Jessie James, and members of the Band of the Air Force Reserve.
The Tour for the Troops features performances at Ramstein Air Base, Germany; Incirlik AB, Turkey; Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England; and a number of deployed locations in Southwest Asia.

Kid Rock, known for his patriotism and fervent support of American troops, has been overseas four previous times to entertain the troops. This will be the first time he will be bringing his full band. Kid Rock has sold more than 25 million albums in the United States since releasing his first album in 1990. His 2007 album "Rock and Roll Jesus" went triple platinum in the United States and sold more than 5 million copies around the world. It produced the hit single "All Summer Long," a worldwide smash hit that charted No. 1 in eight different countries across Europe and in Australia.

"We're extremely excited about Kid Rock bringing his band and full production show to the troops for the very first time," said Chief Master Sgt. Jay Willis, the deputy director of the Band of the U.S. Air Force Reserve and the tour producer. "Kid Rock is a favorite among our young servicemembers, and he's eager to meet with them and put on a show they won't soon forget."

Mr. Mencia is the star of the hit show "Mind of Mencia," seen on Comedy Central, and is a huge hit with live audiences as he brings his unique and cutting edge comedy to sold-out venues across the country.

Ms. James is one of the hottest new artists on MTV and is quickly making a name for herself on both the pop and country music scenes with hit songs like "Wanted," "My Cowboy" and "Blue Jeans."

Performing as the opening act for the tour will be the Reserve band playing well-known pop and contemporary favorites.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123178782

MickDonalds
11-22-2009, 04:01 AM
This is exactly why I don't even consider the Air Force a branch of the military. They get joke deployments and morale assignments such as this, yet proclaim themselves "fighting men and women" :rolleyes:

I mean shit, they go to Boot Camp at Disney Land!!!

nastyleg
11-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Combat Air Contollers...Para rescue....Forward Air Controllers....these are just a few that pop into mind when I think of the airforce in combat....dont forget those that provide transport in and out of danger zones and those that provide CAS

MickDonalds
11-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Combat Air Contollers...Para rescue....Forward Air Controllers....these are just a few that pop into mind when I think of the airforce in combat....dont forget those that provide transport in and out of danger zones and those that provide CAS

That's a combined what..3% of their total force?

Come on, brother. You can't put them on a pedestal with us.

Plus, they're bringing KID ROCK overseas. That's a bad enough decision as is, lol!

Sixx
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
That's a combined what..3% of their total force?

Come on, brother. You can't put them on a pedestal with us.

Plus, they're bringing KID ROCK overseas. That's a bad enough decision as is, lol!

Don't be ignorant...