PDA

View Full Version : Iraq sentences militia leader to death

bobdina
11-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Iraq sentences militia leader to death
By Christopher Torchia, The Associated Press
Stars and Stripes online edition, Friday, November 20, 2009

Related story: Empowered by the U.S., imprisoned by Iraqis

BAGHDAD — An Iraqi court on Thursday sentenced the Sunni leader of a government-allied paramilitary group to death for murder and kidnapping in a case that highlighted tensions over the treatment of former insurgents who turned against al-Qaida.

The ruling against Adil al-Mashhadani coincided with political uncertainty in Iraq, as lawmakers planned to vote Saturday on how to break a deadlock over an election law after a vice president vetoed it. The crisis could delay a national vote planned for January and affect the timetable for a U.S. troop withdrawal.

The sentence and the veto dispute, though not directly linked, reflect the challenges of reconciliation in a nation where ethnic and sectarian factions remain suspicious of each other after years of bloodshed.

Al-Mashhadani’s arrest in March set off a two-day battle in Baghdad pitting U.S. and forces of Iraq’s Shiite-led government against al-Mashhadani’s group, which comprised Sunni Arabs who abandoned the insurgency and joined the Americans in the fight against al-Qaida. At least four people died.

Justice Ministry spokesman Abdul-Sattar Bayrkdar said al-Mashhadani, who operated in the capital’s hardscrabble Fadhil neighborhood, can appeal the sentence. Some of his crimes are believed to have occurred after he left the insurgency, and local residents said his followers routinely extorted money.

But the harsh punishment angered one Sunni lawmaker.

“Regrettably, the Iraqi law is being used by the government as a tool to settle old scores with the people who helped to stabilize the country,” said legislator Mustafa al-Hiti. “The government should be aware that such actions will not help enhance security and the political process ahead of the coming elections.”

The Sunni Arab minority dominated Iraq until a U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003, and boycotted elections in January 2005 ahead of the run-up to the most vicious sectarian violence of the war.

Awakening Council groups such as the one run by al-Mashhadani were instrumental in reducing the potency of al-Qaida in Iraq, but U.S.-backed efforts to incorporate the groups into government programs have had mixed success.

Some Sunni militia leaders had suspected the government was more interested in revenge than reconciliation, and there were tough questions about whether former insurgents should face charges or be exonerated if they fought against al-Qaida.

An amnesty law adopted last year allows officials to clear the slate for some past offenses, but does not cover allegations such as terrorism, kidnapping and rape.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=66222

ghost
11-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Hmm. Now why don't we just let the Iraqis take care of the Gitmo prisoners? I think it'll be easier...

nastyleg
11-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Because it would be easier....lol

ghost
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Because it would be easier....lol

Ah yes. I forgot about that. :lol:

MickDonalds
11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I was talking to one of our Battalion's Terps the other day and he (a Sunni) said there's a funny saying going around in Sunni circes in Iraq:

"Since the S.O.I's (Sons of Iraq-mostly former Sunni insurgents that get paid to be a neighborhood watch/patrol) are so good at taking care of illegal fighters coming into Iraq, why doesn't the US hire them for their immigration problems with the Mexicans?"

I laughed so hard at this, because even if it is politically incorrect it's still pretty funny.

What's crazy is the fact that the SOI's are supposed to call the IP's when they arrest a suspect foreign fighter that nobody in their neighborhood knows, but most of the time, the bodies end up in the Tigris or Euphrates, lol. Last week 4 Iranian bodies were found north of Suwayrah, Identification cards and all. Maybe they shouldn't have been smuggling weapons, huh :)

ghost
11-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I was talking to one of our Battalion's Terps the other day and he (a Sunni) said there's a funny saying going around in Sunni circes in Iraq:

"Since the S.O.I's (Sons of Iraq-mostly former Sunni insurgents that get paid to be a neighborhood watch/patrol) are so good at taking care of illegal fighters coming into Iraq, why doesn't the US hire them for their immigration problems with the Mexicans?"

I laughed so hard at this, because even if it is politically incorrect it's still pretty funny.

What's crazy is the fact that the SOI's are supposed to call the IP's when they arrest a suspect foreign fighter that nobody in their neighborhood knows, but most of the time, the bodies end up in the Tigris or Euphrates, lol. Last week 4 Iranian bodies were found north of Suwayrah, Identification cards and all. Maybe they shouldn't have been smuggling weapons, huh :)

Nice.

Toki
11-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Iran should have gotten the message when Hezballah turned tail and ran back to their mommies.