PDA

View Full Version : Russian Defense Funding Level Unprecedented: Putin

bobdina
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Russian Defense Funding Level Unprecedented: Putin
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 18 Nov 2009 16:56
Print Print | Print Email

MOSCOW - Russia has provided an "unprecedented" 970 billion rubles (22.6 billion euros, $33.8 billion) to its defense industry this year, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Nov. 18.

State support for the sector had helped it grow by 3.8 percent since the start of the year despite the economic downturn, Putin said in comments reported by Russian news agencies.

"During the recession we have allocated enough money to the military-industrial sector, which is a priority for government support. In 2009 funding reached an unprecedented level for our country: almost 970 billion rubles," Putin said.

State aid had taken the form of reduced-rate loans and guarantees as well as direct subsidies, he said.

While Russian industry generally had declined during the global financial crisis, he said, the defense sector had remained buoyant.

Speaking on a visit to the town of Kolomna, around 100 kilometers (60 miles) south east of Moscow and home to one of Russia's main missile production sites, Putin warned it was vital the sector modernized.

"Under our plan, the proportion of modern weapons and technology used by the army must radically increase between now and 2020," he said.

"We need modern, forward-looking equipment," he said.

On November 12 Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said the armed forces would get new missiles and nuclear submarines from 2010.

ghost
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

While the Russians may be looking to acquire more modern combat equipment, there's no telling whether they'll be able to field it or not. This is true of many of their older weapons as well. The majority of their heavy armor still consists of T-72s and early model T-80s. The only ones that really get the fancy stuff are the ones that are based in Moscow. The same can be said for their individual infantry kit. The Russian Marines and VDV(paratroopers) are quite well equipped, while the basic soldiers are still lacking in this area.

I could really see these changes happening, just not anytime soon. They are slowly updating their capabilities and restructuring their military, but this will be a long process.