PDA

View Full Version : Obama Web site claims stimulus jobs in non-existent places

bobdina
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Obama Web site claims stimulus jobs in non-existent places

By James Rosen | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The federal Web site that tracks spending from the Obama administration's $787 billion economic stimulus program reports that the program has created thousands of jobs in congressional districts that don't exist.

According to www.recovery.gov, California has seven congressional districts more than the 53 it actually has, including a 99th. In South Carolina, the site reported Tuesday evening, $40.7 million in economic stimulus funds have gone to seven spurious congressional districts, including 00 and 25. South Carolina has six U.S. House districts.

"The inaccuracies on recovery.gov that have come to light are outrageous," said Rep. David Obey, the Wisconsin Democrat who chairs the House Appropriations Committee. "The administration owes itself, the Congress and every American a commitment to work night and day to correct the ludicrous mistakes."

Republican lawmakers were more scathing Tuesday, with some accusing the administration of a cover-up. No House Republicans and only three GOP senators voted for the stimulus bill, which President Barack Obama signed into law on Feb. 17.

"The government Web site charged with reporting waste, fraud and abuse is its very own worst offender," said Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina. "I know we have been asking this administration to show us the jobs, but this isn't what we had in mind."

"The attempts to cover up the dismal failure of the president's trillion-dollar stimulus have gone from comical to embarrassing," said South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint.

The White House didn't respond to repeated requests for comment.

Ed Pound, a spokesman for the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, told ABC News that human error caused the mistakes.

"We report what the recipients submit to us," he said, according to ABC. "Some recipients clearly don't know what congressional district they live in, so they appear to be just throwing in any number."

Computer experts questioned that explanation, however, noting that many of the Web site's state links included a District 00, suggesting that there was a technical glitch in how the data was received.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/79058.html

nastyleg
11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Here in Az we have something like 8 districts and the website is saying jobs in the 9-86th district! Minor miscalculation or more creative book keeping from the president.

bobdina
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Here in Az we have something like 8 districts and the website is saying jobs in the 9-86th district! Minor miscalculation or more creative book keeping from the president.

I know they are claiming personal and computers but I really think it was an attempt to cover things up. If this story had not broken how many people would even know about the web site, let alone the botched districts. It's easy to try and get away with 00 as a district because most people would think it's just money that went to the state instead on a non existent district. And if it was just a person/computer mistake why does the White House have no comment. I am no conspiracy theorist in any way as a matter of fact if people started calling this one it would be the first time I ever sided with them.

nastyleg
11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I agree bob

bobdina
11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Why thank you as I was typing that , I stopped for a minute thinking my mind had left the reservation but I continued anyway.