PDA

View Full Version : Marines Volunteer to Repair Refuge

nastyleg
11-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Charitable Contribution: Marines Volunteer to Repair Refuge

11/9/2009 By Lance Cpl. Santiago G. Colon Jr., Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

Cherry Point Marines and Sailors volunteered their time to help renovate a home for the Shepherds That Attend Father’s Flock House in New Bern, N.C., Oct. 31.

The STAFF House is a Christian ministry that seeks to aid and assist disadvantaged young pregnant women.

The structure under renovation will replace the current home used by STAFF House, which, because of state laws, can only hold two women and their children. The new home will be able to accommodate up to five women and their children as well as staff members and caregivers.

The 14-month project has received funding and volunteer hours from numerous Havelock and New Bern residents, businesses and churches, as well as many Marines and Sailors who have spent their free time trying to help the project reach its scheduled completion this month.

Cpl. Derek A. Regier, an air traffic control trainee with Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron, said the Marines that partcipated were excited to lend a hand supporting a good cause.

"This was my first time volunteering for this project," Regier said. "I just cannot see a better opportunity to help those less fortunate."

Marine volunteers painted walls and installed carpet and tile to the 90-year-old home.

Regier said participants are not required to have experience in home remodeling to help out.

"I do not know very much about home renovations, but I have learned a lot from professionals helping here," Regier added. "It’s been a great experience to see all these professionals give without strings attached."

Sunny A. Shuptrine, a member of the STAFF House board of directors and a professional home realtor, said Marines have assisted with the renovations since the beginning of the project.

"There were Marines who helped tear down the porch at the beginning of the year," Shuptrine said. "In total we have had about 35 Marines help with the home."

Despite the healthy turn out, Regier said they can always use more help.

"We still have quite a bit of work to do," Regier said. "Even after we finish the renovations, we will need volunteers for maintenance on the home."

For more information on volunteering for the STAFF House, call 626-9940 or visit http://www.staffhouse.org.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcascherrypoint/Pages/2009/Charitablecontribution.aspx

GTFPDQ
11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Giving back.

Headline: Marines adopt new methods to pick up girls. Adapt, improvise and overcome at its finest.

Disclaimer: this is just my sick mine..so dont get all bent out of shape.

nastyleg
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Lol

acf6
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
giving back.

Headline: Marines adopt new methods to pick up girls. Adapt, improvise and overcome at its finest.

Disclaimer: This is just my sick mine..so dont get all bent out of shape.

omg!!! Lol!!!