PDA

View Full Version : Australia’s commitment to Afghanistan

nastyleg
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Australia’s commitment to Afghanistan

06 November - The Minister for Defence, Senator John Faulkner, has reaffirmed there will be no increase to Australian troops numbers in Afghanistan at a press conference in Washington.

Senator Faulkner said the major focus of his meetings with senior US Defense officials during the past week had been Australia's ongoing commitment with ISAF in Afghanistan.

“I really have received a very warm reception from our American friends and I think this is a very good and clear reflection on how well our relationship works,” Senator Faulkner said.

When asked about Australia’s contribution to operations in Afghanistan, Senator Faulkner reaffirmed that current ADF numbers were right.

“I think there is a very clear understanding and appreciation of the fact that Australia increased the number of troops to Afghanistan very significantly on 29 April this year,” Senator Faulkner said.

“…Australia is the largest non-NATO contributor to ISAF. This is a very significant contribution, a very important contribution to this international mission and I think it's very much appreciated.”

Senator Faulkner also talked of the importance of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, as well as working with the local Afghan population as outlined in General McChrystal’s 60-Day assessment.

“I think that the emphasis that General McChrystal has given on protecting the people of Afghanistan and training and partnering with the Afghan national security forces certainly is the best way to ensure future success,” Senator Faulkner said.

“I actually think that the way that we are working in Afghanistan is very much in line with what General McChrystal has proposed and very consistent with that model where the primary focus is on protecting the population.”

Senator Faulkner also said that Australian Special Forces had been conducting more daylight operations, as they were less intimidating to the local population and allowed soldiers to better engage with the community through traditional means.

http://www.defence.gov.au/DefenceBlog/2009/1102_1108.htm#commitment