PDA

View Full Version : Rare Promotion Within Navy

nastyleg
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Provincial Reconstruction Team Corpsman Earns Rare Promotion
Story Number: NNS091102-18
Release Date: 11/2/2009 9:27:00 PM

By Air Force Capt. Tony Wickman, Provincial Reconstruction Team-Kunar Public Affairs

KUNAR PROVINCE, Afghanistan (NNS) -- Serving as a "doc" is a calling and earned a Provincial Reconstruction Team-Kunar hospital corpsman a combat meritorious promotion in a surprise ceremony at Camp Wright in Asadabad Oct. 30.

Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Darsean M. Sharpe, a native of Atlanta, Ga., earned the rare promotion for his outstanding support to the PRT while under austere conditions and at times hostile fire.

He competed for two quotas against all eligible U.S. Naval Forces Central Command Sailors for a Combat Meritorious Advancement Program promotion to the grade of E-5.

According to U.S. Navy Cmdr. Leonard Remias, PRT commander, this award represents Sharpe's ability and desire to perform at the petty officer second class level, while also being engaged in combat in the most kinetic environment in Afghanistan.

"I'm pleased the commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command authorized this award and recognized our Sailor who is making a significant contribution to the Global War on Terrorism," Remias said. "He is well-deserving of this award."

For Sharpe, the advancement came as a complete shock.

"I was surprised…this feels good," Sharpe said with a look of disbelief on his face immediately after getting his new rank pinned on his uniform. "It goes to show that hard work and dedication pays off."

Sharpe said he was humbled by the promotion because he was only doing his duty. He said it was an honor to get the CMAP promotion as a hospital corpsman because of the tough duty that being a "doc" entails, as well as the difficulties in advancing in rank in that rate.

According to U.S. Navy Lt. Jed Juachon, PRT medical officer, Sharpe was worthy of the recognition.

"He is a role model for up and coming junior Sailors to look up to. The program is an honor and a rare opportunity to recognize a Sailor under combat conditions…I'm just glad it was one of mine who was selected," Juachon said.

The CMAP program allows commanders to recognize outstanding performance by Sailors in a combat environment.

Sharpe was cited for providing lifesaving skills to Afghans injured in an Anti-Afghanistan Forces attack on Coalition Forces within days of his arrival to Afghanistan. He was also recognized for his service as an emergency room floor nurse for the 759th Forward Surgical Team during mass casualty events, as well as performing his duty as a corpsman in the battalion aid station treating injured and sick service members and civilians assigned to Camp Wright.

The CMAP program provides commanders the opportunity to advance junior enlisted Sailors who display uncommon valor and extraordinary leadership while engaged in, or in direct support of, combat operations. The first promotions under CMAP were in 2005

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=49342

GTFPDQ
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Well done that man.

Reactor-Axe-Man
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't mean any ill-will here, but meritorious advancement to E-5 isn't that rare in the Navy. Commanding Officers are permitted several meritorious advancements to their men each year. Usually this means several advancements to E-4, but a CO may sacrifice his E-4 promotions to promote one person to E-5. I saw it happen one year on my own boat.

nastyleg
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
well the shit you learn