PDA

View Full Version : Most Battered Battalion Home

bobdina
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Most Battered Battalion Home

Friday, October 30, 2009

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson led his battle group in Afghanistan, and he led those who survived back to London yesterday, ending one of the bloodiest tours of duty in recent British military history.

Twenty-three soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Rifles battle group died under his command and another 80 were wounded. Eleven suffered life-changing injuries, such as amputations or the loss of eyesight.

The survivors followed Thomson as he headed a parade through the streets of Croydon today. And those that were killed, Thomson felt, were behind him still, in spirit at least.

Thomson said the group's six months in the region had exacted "a heavy cost" as his troops had struggled to secure Sangin and the surrounding area. But he added: "I see every one of those killed standing behind me and telling me to keep going and hold the baton high."

In the face of growing public concern at the rising British death toll in Afghanistan, he praised the "extraordinary heroism" of his troops and said their sacrifice had not been in vain.

The battalion bore the brunt of an escalating campaign by the Taliban this summer using improvised explosive devices. Five men were killed in a single "daisy chain" bomb attack on 10 July.

Lieutenant Alex Horsfal, 26, commander of the platoon that was hit that day, lost a leg and damaged his hand and was today reunited with friends he had not seen since then. They surrounded his wheelchair as they prepared to march from the Territorial Army centre.

Along with Rifleman Jack Otter, 21, who lost an arm and both legs, Horsfal was one of several amputees to join the parade.

Friends and family of Rifleman Daniel Simpson, a 20-year old father who was killed when the Taliban detonated secondary bombs aimed at stretcher bearers carrying casualties from an initial blast, also attended.

With its combination of marching music and pauses for silence, the parade was equal parts remembrance service and heroes' welcome.

Hundreds lined the North End shopping street in Croydon, waving union flags and cheering as 100 representatives of the battle group marched in quick time through the streets to a military brass band.

"I support them totally, but I think they should withdraw because I don't see what good they are doing out there," said Sue Clarke, 55, a chef who took a break to welcome them home.

Dressed in their desert fatigues and green berets, the troops came to a halt in front of the HMV record shop and stood to remember their fallen comrades. Regardless of their youth – and some were as young as 19 – their often drawn and pale faces told of the stress and trauma of the daily battles with the Taliban in 40C temperatures. The band struck up again and to proud cheers from the crowds the soldiers marched towards a reception at Fairfields Hall where their relieved families and a table groaning under pints of beer awaited them.

Thomson said the dead who were not able to march alongside them had left "a hole in our hearts", but he said the battle group left Sangin a better place than they found it.

"For me, progress in Sangin has not been dramatic, but we have moved forward, indelibly so," he said. "Security in the heart of the town has improved, Afghan governance has improved, the bazaar has got bigger, the Afghan army has opened a new patrol base which has reduced the enemy's freedom to operate and the enemy has come off second best on countless occasions."

He said his troops had removed six Taliban roadside bombing teams since 23 July.

"The commitment, courage and sheer grit of every man in the battle group has been humbling," he said. "In extraordinary times, extraordinary men and women have, day in, day out, done extraordinary things for the good of our nation and for the benefit of the impoverished people of Afghanistan. Some as young as 18 have taken the fight to the enemy in some of the most arduous and demanding situations faced by British soldiers for a generation."

Horsfal told how he had spent more than three months in Selly Oak military hospital in Birmingham and at Headley Court military rehabilitation centre in Surrey before rejoining his troops today.

"What we have managed to achieve is fantastic, although casualties have been fairly high and it's been a tough tour," he said.

He described how he sustained his injuries on the battlegroup's bloodiest day on a mission which involved meeting the Afghan army "to show the locals we were working well together and the Afghan security forces were able to look after their own country".

"I've got to say that the general public have been awesome," he said. "The change has been in the last few years. The understanding and the sympathy felt towards the army, and especially those who have been wounded, is phenomenal."

http://www.modoracle.com/news/Most-Battered-Battalion-Home_19157.html

acf6
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
God Bless them all!! Keep up the good work mates!!

GTFPDQ
10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Heavy price paid. They can hold their heads high for fighting hard.

RIP for their losses. Speedy recovery to the injured.

nastyleg
11-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Welcome them home with a pint and there wounded home with liter:)

Job well done price paid high but heads held higher for those who left the battle field will never come home in one piece. Those who held their ground when those at home would have them leave can never taste defeat. Victory is sweet and the return home to taste the everlasting love of family and friends is soon washed away with the bitter taste of blood spilled. For they may be standing without a scratch on them the scars they will never heal, and will forever haunt them. The love of a fallen friend is as strong as that of kin. For them they will never be alone in the brotherhood of arms they will always find a home. May those who never return home find some peace no matter where they roam. May those who come home be welcomed by the loved ones they left sooo long ago.