PDA

View Full Version : On a war footing - new CGS puts Afghanistan in focus

bobdina
10-30-2009, 10:19 AM
On a war footing - new CGS puts Afghanistan in focus
A Defence Policy and Business news article

30 Oct 09

If anyone understands the complexity of the task facing British soldiers squaring up to the Taliban in southern Afghanistan, it is General Sir David Richards, the new Chief of the General Staff. Report by Cliff Caswell and Tom Binns.
General Sir David Richards
Back in 2006, the charismatic officer took the helm of Nato's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) as Afghanistan's government began extending its influence into the southern provinces.

Under his overall command, 16 Air Assault Brigade deployed to Helmand, heralding the dawn of Op HERRICK and a struggle with the Taliban that has since claimed the lives of more than 200 British soldiers.

Three years later, however, the new Chief of the General Staff is in no doubt about the need to see the task through in Afghanistan.

While acknowledging that the state will potentially need the helping hands of the international community for some years to come, he disagrees with those who think involvement in Afghanistan is discretionary and insists that the consequences of failure would be catastrophic:

"If we surrender even the south of the country to the Taliban, Al Qaeda will be straight back and you are going to have a very angry population who will feel betrayed by the West," he said.

"Most people do not want the Taliban back - they are brutal oppressors.

"Giving up would create resentment and provide a fertile breeding ground for terrorism. It would also have an intoxicating effect on militant Islam throughout the world because of the perceived defeat of Nato, the UK and the USA.

"So I think we need to hold our nerve and make sure we deliver on our promises."

As the stakes are so high in Afghanistan, Gen Richards believes it is essential that the British public understand the importance of the mission.

And, having declared that the Army is now fully on a war footing with all efforts geared towards supporting current operations, he is committed to making sure the message is spelt out loud and clear.

He emphasised that British troops were taking part in the ISAF mission alongside 42 other nations, with the prime reason to help safeguard UK national security.

But they were also assisting a democratically elected government and helping to train their counterparts in the Afghan security forces so they could ultimately deal with any troublemakers themselves.

The senior officer, who took over as head of the Army from Gen Sir Richard Dannatt at the beginning of September, certainly has a wealth of experience.

The archetypal soldier's soldier, he has been on operations all over the world in a career spanning nearly 40 years and has earned the respect of all ranks for his leadership acumen and approachable manner.

Having originally commissioned as a gunner in 1971, Gen Richards' raft of posts have included a spell as Commanding Officer of the 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery and commander of 4th Armoured Brigade in Germany.

He has also headed up the Nato Allied Rapid Reaction Corps force, been Commander-in-Chief Land Forces and seen action from the streets of Northern Ireland to the Asian island of East Timor:

"There have obviously been huge changes in the world since I have been in the Army," he said. "When I joined, the Cold War was at its height and we were focused on a potential conflict with the Soviet Union, which we took seriously.

"Who would have believed that 40 years later we would be conducting a major operation in Afghanistan? But we are managing it well and my job now is to make sure we continue to have the fine reputation we have always enjoyed."

While getting it right in Afghanistan is at the top of the agenda, Gen Richards is determined to fight to ensure the Army is properly resourced for the job as well as any future challenges.

His early priorities have included focusing efforts on countering the menace of the Taliban's IED campaign against both soldiers and Afghan civilians - which has claimed a number of lives - as well as bringing more armoured vehicles online.
General Sir David Richards

He is confident that the MOD is properly focused on the campaign and welcomed the Secretary of State's recent confirmation that it is the Department's main effort:

"Afghanistan was always going to be a long haul. You only have to look at Northern Ireland and Malaya to see that the history of counter-insurgency campaigns is that you cannot be successful in the short-term," he said.

"Our direction now is to build up the Afghan National Army (ANA) and police, which means it will be hard for the next two-to-five years as we shoulder the brunt of the fighting.

"Thereafter the operation will have evolved to one in which we are supporting the ANA and we would hope to have reduced the level of fighting within that period.

"To this end we are all focused on operations and, for those in the Armed Forces, deciding that something is your main effort has a huge impact."

In taking the fight to the Taliban, Gen Richards believed that British soldiers were living up to their trademark phrase of being the best. And he shared the gratitude shown by the nation's public for the dedication and sacrifice they had made:

"I once spent some time in the West Indies, where I first heard the term ‘maximum respect'," he added. "And that is what I have - maximum respect for our people. To be asked to be their boss while they are in a war is incredibly humbling, and I will be fighting hard for both them and their families.

"So, a huge thank you to the Army, as well as those in the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and Royal Marines who are part of our team. I am confident that we will come through all this with our amazing reputation not only intact, but shining."