PDA

View Full Version : French Officers Sued Over Casualties

bobdina
10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
French Officers Sued Over Casualties
October 29, 2009
Deutsche Presse-Agentur

PARIS -- The families of two of nine French soldiers killed last year in an ambush in Afghanistan are suing their commanding officers for reckless endangerment, the daily Le Parisien reported Thursday.

The lawyer for the two families, Gilbert Collard, told France Info radio that the suit was not directed at the army itself, but at specific senior officers.

In an interview published in Le Parisien, Joel Le Pahun, the father of one of the soldiers killed, said the suit "targets individuals who did not, in our opinion, act responsibly ... We suspect the existence of a series of failures in the chain of command."

A recent British media report claimed that the French officers had been over-confident because they did not know that the calm in the region was the result of bribes paid by the Italian secret services to local warlords and Taliban commanders when the Italians were in charge of the area.

According to the story published in the Times, Western officials said that the French made a "catastrophically incorrect" threat assessment because they had not known about the payments.

This is the first-ever lawsuit of this kind in French judicial history. Collard said it will be filed Monday at the Military Tribunal in Paris.

The two soldiers, 19-year-old Julien Le Pahun and Rodolphe Penon, 40, were killed on August 19, 2008, in the Uzbin Valley in eastern Afghanistan when their International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) column was ambushed by a large group of Taliban and other rebel fighters.

Nine French soldiers were killed and 18 wounded in the battle, the largest loss of life the French army suffered since the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing, in which 58 soldiers died.

A NATO report on the incident concluded that the surviving ISAF soldiers had been "lucky to escape" since they were poorly equipped and badly organized. But this was denied by the French government.

Woodbutcher824
10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Interesting, very interesting..............

I wonder if this will have effect with other coalition countries. I betcha that some family members and lawyers will be following this one real close, to see what pans out. Especially if stuff gets out about inept officers.

acf6
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
HEY DUMBASSES! Sue the Italians their the reason this happened not the French Officers!!!!

Woodbutcher824
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
HEY DUMBASSES! Sue the Italians their the reason this happened not the French Officers!!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Italians. :duh:

Good point, acf6.

bobdina
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Yup defiantly a case of suing the wrong people here that's for sure ,that's fir dang sure.

Reactor-Axe-Man
10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
It's bullshit. Unfortunately, the power of civilian families to sue individual officers for alleged mistakes leading to the deaths of their loved ones is the worst thing you could possibly do to a professional army. It will force a level of caution and second-guessing among the leadership that will destroy morale, impede effectiveness, and may even cause more loss of life than without such a policy.

Mistakes are a part of War. It's one of the ugly truths of the world. This idea that we can tame War, make it less than the cruel bloody stupid thing that it is, well, that is an even bigger folly than War itself. Sherman knew this, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to listen.

bobdina
10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I have to say I was quite surprised when I read that civilians were allowed to sue. But I guess things are done different over there. There best case is against the Italians as the U.S. has intercepts of the Italians talking to the talibs and mentioning the payoffs.