PDA

View Full Version : Barracks Rocked By Explosion in North Belfast

bobdina
10-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Barracks Rocked By Explosion

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Source: PSNI

PSNI Area Commander Chief Inspector Ian Campbell has condemned the attack on an army base in North Belfast earlier today.

Mr Campbell said, "Police were alerted to reports of an explosion at a Territorial Army barracks near Ashfield Crescent on the Antrim Road during the early hours of this morning. Army Technical Officers were subsequently tasked to examine a suspicious object discovered by police checking the area."

"The Army Technical Officer has confirmed that this was a viable explosive device capable of causing death or serious injury. The explosion occurred within the confines of the camp causing some blast damage inside the compound. Shrapnel from the device has also been found in neighbouring streets. Had an innocent person been in the area at the time they could have been killed or seriously injured."

"It is believed that the device was thrown over the front gate of the compound in Ashfield Crescent shortly before 1am. One person was seen running from the area."

Chief Inspector Campbell added, "We are obviously still at a very early stage in this investigation and are working to establish who carried out the attack. We can only be thankful that no one was killed or seriously injured and we would ask that anybody who has any information about this attack or anyone who noticed any suspicious activity in the area in recent days, to contact detectives at Antrim Road on 0845 600 8000. Alternatively, information about crime can be passed anonymously to the Crimestoppers charity by calling 0800 555 111

http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.html?id=19109&refresh=8D08E218-8514-44AB-BC8CC34BBFC60F43

GTFPDQ
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I hope that this is the result of a small splinter group. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness better get on the right page and condemn this, now.

Fucking morons, dont see that the vast majority of NI citizens want peace, ill rephrase that demand peace.

bobdina
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Whats this the second incident in a month? I cannot remember when that large bomb was discovered and made safe. I had not seen much on Northern Ireland since that police officer was killed awhile back, crap I can't even remember when that was. But it sure seems for whatever reason things are warming up there.

Reactor-Axe-Man
10-24-2009, 02:29 AM
It's just a guess, but peace in Northern Ireland only came about because everyone on all sides were tired of the bloodshed. The grievances never really ended, only exhaustion from the fighting stopped it. Now that they've had a good ten to fifteen years of peace, there is a whole new crop of young punks who don't know what their parents and grandparents experienced and want to continue the fight.