PDA

View Full Version : Australian Commando killed in CQB training.

mickk
10-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Live firing exercise, another soldier injured by small arms schrapnel, from ADF release.

The Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie, early this morning announced that, tragically, an Australian soldier was killed and another seriously injured last night in a training accident at Cultana, South Australia.

At approximately 9:30pm (Australian Central Standard Time), Special Forces soldiers were conducting a night training activity with live ammunition. The activity was associated with mission specific training for an upcoming Afghanistan deployment.

One soldier, from Army’s 2nd Commando Regiment was seriously injured and later pronounced dead at the scene by civilian medical personnel.

Another soldier, from the Incident Response Regiment, was injured and taken to Port Augusta for treatment. His condition is serious. Both soldiers belong to Army’s Special Operations Command and their units are Sydney based.

Lieutenant General Gillespie expressed his deepest condolences to the families, friends and unit colleagues of the soldiers involved in this tragic accident. “Army and the wider Defence community is doing everything we can to assist and support them through this very difficult time,” he said.

later

It is with great sadness that the Department of Defence announces the tragic death last night of Lance Corporal Mason Edwards at Cultana, South Australia.

Lance Corporal Edwards, a member of the 2nd Commando Regiment, was part of a Special Forces night training activity with live ammunition. The activity was associated with mission specific training for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan.

The Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie, extended his deepest condolences to the family, friends and unit colleagues of Lance Corporal Edwards, who was a very well-respected soldier.

“I know Mason was a committed and determined soldier; tremendously proud of his service and his mates with whom he served,” Lieutenant General Gillespie said.

“I can tell you that he considered himself lucky to live in this great country and to have the love and support of his family and partner.”

Lance Corporal Edwards was awarded the Australian Defence Medal, Australian Service Medal, Australian Active Service Medal, and the Afghanistan Campaign Medal.

Lance Corporal Edwards deployed to Timor Leste with Alpha Commando Company in 2006. In May 2007 he deployed on his first tour of duty in Afghanistan with the Special Forces Task Group. He returned to Afghanistan in June 2008.

The other soldier, from the Incident Response Regiment injured in the incident is in a satisfactory condition. For privacy reasons, personal details of the injured colleague will not be released.

Army and the wider Defence community is doing everything it can to assist and support the families through this very difficult time.

finally

The following is a statement on behalf of the family of Lance Corporal Mason Edwards, who was tragically killed last night during a training accident at Cultana, South Australia.

The family of Lance Corporal Edwards has asked that their privacy be respected, to allow them to start to come to terms with the loss of a loved son, brother and partner.

They will not be issuing a statement or conducting media interviews at this time, and have asked that any media enquiries be directed to the Defence Public Affairs Operations Centre in Canberra on (02) 6127 1999 or mediaops@defence.gov.au.

I guess someone got their arc wrong, or he did, maybe a ND. I feel sorry for the family and I guess just as sorry for the bloke that shot him.

Very sad for a warrior to go out like that.

GTFPDQ
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Dangerous training. It should never happen, but these live fire training cycles are a must.

mickk
05-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Cultana, South Australia, Australia. An Army base in the middle of woop woop. But close to the sea, and a Port, oil rigs, large ships and an AFB. Not a house for miles. A good place for an Army trainimg centre. Google Earth it and theres nothing to indicate what it is, even if the image is oldish.

I thought I would update this thread for those interested. No details have been released. When they meant private I guess it worked this time, even the funeral was not reported. This is good because for once the media respected the wishes of the family. BUT then again, it lets the imagination go to work on the cause of this accident. CQB Blue on Blue is the obvious conclusion that can be drawn from the guarded statements of the ADF. Injured soldier remains secret, not a peep. I dont know if the inquest/coronial inquiry will be made public, the ADF might have had precedence to these civil proceedings, conduct their own in camera. Strange things can happen, National Security might come into play. We may never be told what happened.

I can only conclude that only the injured and the deceased were involved. Lets hope we find out.

I find it sad that we have not had the chance to pay tribute to a man who was a fine Soldier. His life should have and would have been a top TV news story, instead it was a 5 second statement. Thats not fair, its not fucking right.

Firstly the Family statement, released by the ADF shortly after the death of Lance Corporal Mason Edwards and some background information.

The Australian Defence Force is releasing the following statement on behalf of the family of Lance Corporal Mason Edwards, who was tragically killed in a training accident on Tuesday:

“As a beloved son, brother, uncle, and partner, Mason meant the world to us. He was so strong, and yet the most gentle, caring, and loving man you would ever meet. He made us laugh every time we were together and his easygoing attitude was infectious.

“Our hearts ache for Mason, and there aren’t enough words to describe him as a person, and how we felt about him. To Mason: We will always remember the way you showered us all in love and affection, and we will forever miss you. You will be in our hearts forever.

“Mason is survived by his parents Julie and Kerrin; his siblings Katie, Remie and Jared; his nephew Henry; and his beloved partner Cassie.”

Born in Birmingham, England on the 20th of February 1979, Mason spent most of his life in Queensland. A student of Kelvin Grove State High School, he went on to complete a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at the University of Queensland, St Lucia, before enlisting in the Australian Army.

Lance Corporal (LCPL) Mason Kerrin Edwards enlisted into the Australian Army in January 2004 as one of the first members of the Special Forces “Direct Recruiting Scheme”. After recruit and initial employment training, he successfully completed the Commando Selection and Training Course and the ensuing Commando Reinforcement Training Continuum. He was posted to the then 4th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (Commando), now the 2nd Commando Regiment on the 16th of May 2005. During his service within the Commando Regiment, he underwent further intensive training and specialized in Special Forces Demolitions, Mortars and Direct Fire Support Weapons, and Heavy Weapons.

In August 2006 he deployed to East Timor with Alpha Commando Company. In May 2007 he deployed on his first tour of duty in Afghanistan with the Special Forces Task Group. He returned to Afghanistan in June 2008.

Throughout his short but extremely busy career, LCPL Edwards proved himself to be a consummate professional. During his tours to Afghanistan he demonstrated considerable mental toughness and physical endurance whilst deployed on combat operations. When receiving both direct and indirect fires, LCPL Edwards displayed a cool disposition and attended to his duties without hesitation. His confident demeanour and professional approach under fire provided junior members of the section with an excellent role model on which to base their own reactions to difficult circumstances. In recognition of his strength of character, integrity and uncompromising work ethic, he was held in the highest regard by both commanders and peers alike.

Testament to his ability, having displayed immense leadership potential whilst in combat, LCPL Edwards completed the first of his promotion courses in much the same manner that he completed all tasks assigned to him. He was awarded Student of Merit and the Best Instructor Award, a rare feat. He was promoted to Lance Corporal on the 14th of August, 2009.

LCPL Edwards was an extremely fit, strong and determined soldier with an affable character that endeared him to all he met. He had the ability to converse at all levels, had a great sense of humour and impeccable timing.

This personal diary entry was released by the ADF later. Quite touching and very sad. The entry was made in his diary prior to an op in Afghanistan.

"I want everyone to know that I love this line of work, the unit and the guys I work alongside.

"We do what we do for many reasons.

"I need little more reason than this - anyone of us could have been born in this country [Afghanistan], but we are the lucky few who enjoy a lifestyle unsurpassed by anyone in the greatest country on Earth [Australia].

"As a final note, I tell my family, friends and my one and only Cassie that I loved them all until the day I died.

"I will stay young forever, and I will love them forever."

ianstone
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Nothing is perfect or truly special when it comes to ops,
only the death of the young warriors. My sympathies to there loved one.
R.I.P.