PDA

View Full Version : SAR Aircrewman of 2008 helped save 18 people

bobdina
10-18-2009, 10:55 PM
SAR Aircrewman of 2008 helped save 18 people

By Thad Angelloz - The Courier via Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Oct 18, 2009 8:23:15 EDT

HOUMA, La. — Ricky Pierron's mother still remembers what impassioned her son about the Navy.

According to Raceland native Robin Nance, a 9-year-old Pierron was watching 1992's "Under Seige" starring Steven Seagal when he looked at her and said, "That's what I want to do."

While the Terrebonne Parish native didn't become a U.S. Navy SEAL turned cook who saves a Navy vessel from a group of renegades, Pierron did fulfill his dream of joining the Navy, where he now works as a Search and Rescue, or SAR, swimmer for the elite Longhorns team based out of Fallon, Nev.

"He's one of those people who did what he said he would do," Nance said. "I can't tell you how proud I am of him and what he's been up to in California."

One of his recent accomplishments was being named U.S. Navy SAR Aircrewman of the Year for 2008 by the Chief of Naval Operations due in part to a mission that saw him and his fellow crewmember, Michael Pilarski, rescue 18 people from their rooftops and car hoods Jan. 5, 2008.

Pierron said he participated in the mission unexpectedly after another person who was on call that evening couldn't be reached.

"They asked me if I could come in and I was like 'Sure,'" the 27-year-old said. "I was first told that there were thousands of people stuck on their rooftops, but that thankfully ended up not being the case. It was bad, but not as bad as was first reported."

What Pierron found himself in the middle of was a breach of the Truckee Canal, located outside of Reno, Nev., where a torrent of water poured into local neighborhoods.

Pierron was lowered in to the icy waters multiple times to perform rescues.

"The first guy we came up on was actually a cop who was hanging out of the second story of his home," Pierron said. "What I remember most is how cold the water was. I believe the temperature of it was 33 degrees and the air temperature was something like 42."

After being treated for minor frostbite following the mission. Pierron had the chance to reflect on what happened.

"It's an amazing feeling," he said about saving so many lives. "The biggest thing was I actually helped pull eight kids out of the water that night. When we got them aboard the helo (helicopter) it was so great to see their faces light up because they'd been rescued."

Pierron said he enlisted in the Navy following high school in 2000.

Although he didn't graduate locally, Pierron grew up in Chauvin before eventually relocating to Oklahoma with his family at the age of 15.

"I spent some great years in south Louisiana," Pierron said. "I still consider it home."

Within a week of graduation, Pierron went to basic training before being shipped to Guam where he was stationed until 2005.

His next assignment brought him to Fallon's Naval Air Station in Nevada.

"It's great to be part of such a strong team," Pierron said. "We're some of the best around at what we do and I'm proud of that."

Pierron's crew is routinely called upon when floods or fires threaten people's lives.

"We perform a variety of search-and-rescue missions weekly," Pierron said.

While all of his work thus far has been restricted to the Nevada-California vicinity, Pierron said that's about to change.

Pierron will attend training for air ambulance duty in the near future. His orders will more than likely send him to Afghanistan.

"That's what I'm gearing up for now," Pierron said. "I plan on heading to San Diego in March to begin my training."

While winning such a prestigious award is an honor, Pierron credits his team for putting him in a position to save lives.

"We all keep ourselves calm in the midst of danger and without that none of us would be successful," Pierron said.

GTFPDQ
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
"We all keep ourselves calm in the midst of danger and without that none of us would be successful," Pierron said.

Well said.