PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Rodney Evans, Medal of Honor , Vietnam

bobdina
10-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Medal of Honor

Presented by the President in the name of Congress, the Medal of Honor is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any American.

Rodney John Evans
* Date of birth: 17 July 1948
* Place of birth: Chelsea, Mass.
* Home of record: Montgomery, Ala.

Awards and Citations

Medal of Honor

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, in action against enemy aggressor forces at Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 18 July 1969. Sergeant Evans distinguished himself while serving as a squad leader in a reconnaissance sweep through heavy vegetation to reconnoiter a strong enemy position. As the force approached a well-defined trail, the platoon scout warned that the trail was booby-trapped. Sergeant Evans led his squad on a route parallel to the trail. The force had started to move forward when a nearby squad was hit by the blast of a concealed mine. Looking to his right Sergeant Evans saw a second enemy device. With complete disregard for his safety he shouted a warning to his men, dived to the ground and crawled toward the mine. Just as he reached it an enemy soldier detonated the explosive and Sergeant Evans absorbed the full impact with his body. His gallant and selfless action saved his comrades from probable death or injury and served as an inspiration to his entire unit. Sergeant Evans' gallantry in action at the cost of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army. Rodney John Evans

Service: Army

General Orders No. 29, July 5, 1972

Mel
10-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I swear I never cease to be amazed When I read these post.

nastyleg
10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I get the same sentaments Mel