PDA

View Full Version : Saudis consider Russian air defense system so Iran won't get it

bobdina
10-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Saudis consider Russian air defense system
Published: Oct. 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Oct. 7 (UPI) -- Saudi Arabia is considering buying Russia's most advanced air-defense system in a deal that Riyadh hopes may deter Moscow from selling a similar defense system to potentially nuclear Iran, experts argue.

Experts cited in a string of media reports from the region said Moscow and Riyadh were close to signing a deal on the purchase of Russia's S-400 anti-missile shield. The deal is valued between $4 billion and $7 billion.

The system is the latest version of the S-300 long-range surface-to-air missile system that Russia has been negotiating to sell to Iran.

"The Russians were selling the S-300 in large part because of the money. Now, a larger deal will be made with Saudi Arabia," said a World News report, citing an anonymous Egyptian intelligence official.

Diplomats in the Gulf, however, argue that strong Western and Israeli pressure, capped by a multibillion-dollar deal with Saudi Arabia, may sway Moscow against its initial designs to sell the surface-to-air missiles system to Iran.

Saudi Arabia, influenced by Sunni Islam, is threatened by the growing influence of Iran, dominated by Shiite Islam.

It is considered that the S-400 missile defense deal could be part of a much bigger arms deal with Russia. That would signal Riyadh's break from decades-old dependency on traditional arms supplying nations like Britain, France and the United States.

In late August, for example, Russia's Interfax news agency reported that a $2 billion weapons deal was in the making between Russia and Saudi Arabia. Under the deal, Russia would supply up to 150 combat helicopters, and equal number of T-90S tanks and infantry fighting vehicles.

This week The Financial Times reported that as part of the deal Saudi Arabia demanded guarantees that Russia would not send the S-300 system to Iran.

"The Saudis would rather this weapon system were not sold to Iran or (another possible buyer) Syria," Theodore Karasik, director of research at the Dubai-based think tank, was quoted saying by Russia Today.

It said Tehran was initially interested in the S-300 system in 2005 when a deal was signed. The equipment, however, has yet to reach Iran.

Saudi officials are increasingly worried that Western pressure has failed to sway Iran's development of nuclear know-how. It has repeatedly contested Iran's insistence that its nuclear ambitions are entirely peaceful.

"The pressure from the U.S. is a stick and the huge weapons deal prepared by the Saudis is a carrot," Director of Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies Ruslan Pukhov told Interfax news agency. "We all know Saudi Arabia buys weapons as a 'bribe' to the world's great powers in exchange for support," he added.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2009/10/07/Saudis-consider-Russian-air-defense-system/UPI-61311254953058/

ghost
10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Why would this mean that the Iranians wouldn't get it?

bobdina
10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Because the Saudis would be buying the ones Iran wanted, this way the Russians don't loose any money, and Iran doesn't get the missiles .

ghost
10-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Because the Saudis would be buying the ones Iran wanted, this way the Russians don't loose any money, and Iran doesn't get the missiles .

Are you saying there are only enough missiles for one buyer?

If this is the case, then I think this would make Israel all the more likely to launch airstrikes against Iran.

Reactor-Axe-Man
10-10-2009, 05:16 PM
It could also be predicated on the idea that the Saudis make a big buy in exchange for the Russians not selling to Iran. Not sure how you'd hold them to it, but who knows what other quid pro quo is going on here.

BooMBooM.OsM
10-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I am glad Saudis is buying Russian and not US. It’s politically
correct for Saudis and a money deal for Russians. Inferior
weapons technology is a good buy.

nastyleg
10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
What about our FFID's getting onto Russian system which will eventually be passed on to Iran?

ghost
10-10-2009, 11:27 PM
What about our FFID's getting onto Russian system which will eventually be passed on to Iran?

How would that happen? You think the Saudis could be dealing US kit with the Russians? I guess you never know with them...

nastyleg
10-11-2009, 02:06 AM
How would that happen? You think the Saudis could be dealing US kit with the Russians? I guess you never know with them...
I was drunk and dumb

ghost
10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I was drunk and dumb

Huh? That didn't answer my question... And my name's not Kyle. It's Truman.

nastyleg
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Huh? That didn't answer my question... And my name's not Kyle. It's Truman.

i was drunk that night man sorry

ghost
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
i was drunk that night man sorry

Hahaha.