PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Nobel prize reveals how President Obama is lost in his own mystique

bobdina
10-09-2009, 11:51 PM
OP/ED

Pointless Nobel prize reveals how President Obama is lost in his own mystique
Bronwen Maddox: Foreign Briefing

Scrap the Nobel Peace Prize. It’s an embarrassment and even an impediment to peace. President Obama, in letting the committee award it to him, has made himself look vain, a fool and dangerously lost in his own mystique.

Where do you start, in the daftness of it? Anointing a leader whose character the panel admires, but who is only a fifth of the way through his term of office and has not yet clinched any peace? The fey, fanciful lack of criteria, which does no favours to the rigorous awards in science that, unfortunately, share the same brand name?

No, start with two hard-edged points. The Peace Prize has begun to distort and damage crucial negotiations. And Obama’s acceptance of the supposed honour is a misjudgment that will give power to his critics.

Of course, there are plenty of cases — Northern Ireland, endlessly — where the advances that the prize celebrated then dissolved. Peace is not an eternal state, unshakeable once achieved. I’d put this at the heart of my queasiness about the notion of any peace prize.

But others disagree, saying that effort should be rewarded as much as solid triumph. Even so, given how muddy such efforts always are, what a jumble of motives and ugly arm-twisting before the final, tidy handshake, the Nobel committee seems naive in lauding a purity that is never there.

The real damage is done, however, by making the award to a player actively engaged in conflict resolution, which can tip the balance of power in those talks.

The worst of recent cases was the 2005 award to Mohamed ElBaradei, the Egyptian head of the International Atomic Energy Agency. The award was odd, many thought: he had presided over a record of failure by the United Nations nuclear watchdog to detect or stop proliferation. But British and US officials working to combat Iran’s nuclear ambitions, who had long accused him of being protective of Iran, felt that the Nobel award then reinforced him in his belief that he should resist Western pressure.

In Obama’s case, two huge decisions loom: whether to put more troops into Afghanistan, and whether to mount (or even to threaten) airstrikes against Iran, if it won’t drop its nuclear work. He would surely not (we must hope) be swayed in such deliberations by the thought of jeopardy to his Swedish garland. Yet if the Nobel Peace Prize were worth anything, then it could influence, if not constrain, people trying to broker deals.

But it isn’t worth anything. What on earth was Obama thinking when the call came through? Really, that it was an honour, not a highly partisan tribute? That it would waft him above the rancour of US politics, in which he is a hero to half the country and a communist to the rest? Hardly: his critics will just accuse him of having communist Swedes on his side. And they will rightly ram home the point he has missed — that the US President’s stature dwarfs that of this committee.

In the election last November, Obama won the world’s most impressive and valuable prize. The Nobel, in contrast, is as effusive and misplaced a compliment as the “my son” that Colonel Muammar Gaddafi bestowed on him last month. The only blessing of Obama’s acceptance is that he may have killed off the prize for good.

bobdina
10-09-2009, 11:57 PM
There's about 10 of these op/ed's blasting Pres. Obama for getting it. The only problem I have with it ,is the nominations had to be in by Feb.21st, meaning he'd only been in office 3 month's and had achieved nothing on the national stage yet. He was rightly so , taking care of problems at home.(if you can call it taking care of problems)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6868905.ece

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/10/09/jonathan-kay-giving-barack-obama-the-nobel-peace-prize-is-ridiculous.aspx

infidelforlife
10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I would like to know what he has done to get this award ??? i tell you what he has done go around this f...king world and blame America for everything he has threw israel under the bus and blame bush for every f...king thing and has kissed the muslims ass and our enemy is laughing their ass off at this dipshit and i can go on and on and this is what it takes to when NOBEL PEACE PIZE............... 2012 PLEASE HURRY UP AND GET HERE SO WE CAN GET THIS ENEMY OUT OF THE W H.................

nastyleg
10-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Well his track record is par for his course of leadership...NONE. Obama will undoubtly give up on Afghanistan and have the US troops return home but let NATO out to dry. Obama has not gotten anything right so far. He is parralleing LBJ and Carter so much it is amazing. The more I brush up on LBJ in the book series...The Vietnam War Experience the more I understand Obama's line of thinking. He is trying to do too much too soon with no money or majority support from the people or the Legislative branches. LBJ and Carter had to fight both. LBJ took on Vietnam from a politicians stand point and not that of a Commander. Carter tryed to appease Iran when it took over the Embassy. The most he did was send in Delta on a doomed mission. Carter tryed and failed at almost everything he did. Carter managed to get Habitat for Humanity going. LBJ managed to have the for sight to hire Kissinger, hawk in dove's clothing as many called him. Kissinger arranged for the US to pullout all combat troops and support of the south Vietnamese government. He let the South Vietnamese fail under thier own corruption. Gee that sounds familiar..Afghanistan?!?!

Obama is going to crash and burn hard. The Nobel peace prize was designed to promote peace through science...because the founder of the prize invented TNT. So what has he done to earn the prize...other than let his domestic policies and foriegn policies kill any chance he had to do good in his 1st(and hopefully only) term as president.

cavscout11
10-10-2009, 04:04 AM
what in the fuck has he done to deserve that award? the guy is an imbecile..

ghost
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
:hb: Fuck me....

bobdina
10-10-2009, 01:00 PM
World peace has not advanced

Alfred Nobel would probably regret what his prize has become.

Margaret Wente

Published on Friday, Oct. 09, 2009 9:10PM EDT Last updated on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2009 12:06PM EDT

Barack Obama's Peace Prize is being cheered around the world. Meantime, back at home, Americans are mostly baffled. I don't blame them. Shouldn't you achieve something before you win a prize?

I am a great Obama fan, and I applaud his aspirations. But he's been in office for only nine months. His speeches in Cairo and Berlin were splendid. Yet, unless I'm missing something, world peace has not advanced just yet. As the journalist George Packer puts it, not even a Rookie of the Year is ready to be elected to the Hall of Fame.

The real reason for the prize is that Mr. Obama is not George W. Bush. Instead, he's the kind of president the Europeans love. He believes in multilateralism, international treaties, nuclear disarmament, and the UN. He has talked tough to the Israelis and nicely to the Muslims. But mostly, he has brought the American rogue state back to its senses. “Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Mr. Obama captured the world's attention,” the selection committee said, making it sound as if he'd just won the final round of Global Idol. “He has created a new international climate.”

Let's hope so. But he's still a war president, mired in the muck of Afghanistan and trying to decide if he ought to go in deeper. Nuclear Pakistan remains the scariest place in the world. Peace in the Middle East is as remote as ever, and the Iranians are arming themselves with nukes. Back at home, Mr. Obama's approval ratings have sunk back to Earth as people realize that he's merely mortal. Maybe he'll do better at uniting the nations of the Earth than he has at uniting his own bitterly divided nation, but there's no sign of it yet.

Alfred Nobel would probably regret what his prize has become. He intended it for true “champions of peace,” who had done “the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.” Teddy Roosevelt got it for helping to negotiate peace in the Russo-Japanese War. Woodrow Wilson got it for helping to create the League of Nations.

But in recent times, the Peace Prize has become explicitly political. Jimmy Carter got it in 2002 – 20 years after he left the presidency – partly for his work for international peace and social justice, but also to give the finger to President Bush on the eve of the Iraq invasion. “Awarding a Peace Prize is, to put it bluntly, a political act,” said Francis Sejersted, who chaired the Norwegian Nobel Committee in the 1990s.

As Ronald Krebs writes in Foreign Policy, “The Nobel committee seeks to change the world through the prize's very conferral.” Sadly, it doesn't work. Mr. Bush invaded Iraq anyway. Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin won in 1994 for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East. Today, peace there is more remote than ever. Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi won the Peace Prize, too. But the recognition backfired (as it often does) when the regime cracked down on her and extinguished the liberal faction in her country. Al Gore – another wildly popular anti-Bush choice – got it in 2007 for raising awareness about global warming. Since then, there has been an explosion of international UN meetings about global warming. But progress on global warming is like progress in the Middle East – don't expect to see it in our lifetime. Perhaps the committee thinks the prize will speed his exit from Iraq and Afghanistan, in which case they may be in for a surprise if Mr. Obama ups the troop count.

The Times of London gripes that awarding the prize to Mr. Obama makes a mockery of it. But it's awfully hard to take the Peace Prize seriously when previous winners include Henry Kissinger, Mr. Carter and Mr. Arafat. Sometimes the selections has been beyond reproach (Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Elie Wiesel). And some of the omissions (Mohandas Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, Vaclav Havel) have been baffling. Like all prize committees, this one has its own agendas. One of them is to make headlines, and this year it has brilliantly succeeded. Last year's winner was Martti Ahtisaari of Finland. Who? No one ever heard of him, and no one cared. I bet they won't make that mistake again.

Mr. Obama has improved America's image in the world, and that's a good thing. I'm glad they like him. Yet it's entirely unclear how much they'll like him when he asks for something. How willing will the Europeans be to slap tough sanctions on Iraq if talking fails? How willing will Muslim dictatorships be to reform themselves just because he treats them with respect?? Would the world become a better, safer place if we relied less on the United States and more on the UN? I doubt it. Diplomacy is great, but it only gets you so far. I'd rather put my faith in a guy who, as one former Peace Prize winner put it, speaks softly and also carries a big stick.

The Norwegian booby prize- http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-pap

absurd decision on Obama makes a mockery of the Nobel peace prize-http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6867711.ece

Peace prize politics-http://www.globalnational.com/entertainment/Somnia/2089541/story.html

and thats all I'm gonna say about that.

Reactor-Axe-Man
10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Look, the award lost any meaning when they gave it to Yassir Arafat. That was 7 years ago. From that seeming nadir it has somehow only managed to sink lower.

The fact is, they couldn't elect him King of the Prom, so this is what they had to settle for.