PDA

View Full Version : Target Iran? MOP Bomb Fast-tracked

bobdina
10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
October 07, 2009
United Press International

WASHINGTON -- A U.S. Defense Department request to speed up a "bunker-buster" bomb may hint at a possible attack on Iranian nuclear plants.

The Pentagon first asked Congress for $88 million in 2007 for development of what was called the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, or MOP. But ABC News reported Tuesday that a recent "repositioning" request to the House and Senate Appropriations and Armed Services committees asked for $19.1 million for procurement of four bombs, $23.8 million for speeded up development and testing and $21 million to accelerate equipping B-52 bombers with the bombs.

"The department has an Urgent Operational Need for the capability to strike hard and deeply buried targets in high threat environments," the request said, saying it had been approved by Central and Pacific commands. "The MOP is the weapon of choice to meet the requirements of the UON."

The MOP, a 30,000-pound bomb, has the capacity to strike targets buried 200-feet below ground. The Taliban, al-Qaida and Iraqi insurgents do not have facilities buried deeply below ground, but the Iranian nuclear facilities are buried.

Reactor-Axe-Man
10-07-2009, 11:03 PM
*looks around*

Yep, the horse has already left the barn, but I guess if you want to shut the barn door, you're welcome to...

(Translation: why the fuck wasn't this happening two or three years ago?)

ghost
10-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Hmm. I'm assuming we have given this type of ordnance to Israel?

GTFPDQ
10-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Ghost, its a 30,000lb big fuck off huge enormous bunker buster. Unless the Israelis have developed a Stealth C130, they could only look at it and say...

"HOLY FUCK, its fucking huge"

ghost
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Ghost, its a 30,000lb big fuck off huge enormous bunker buster. Unless the Israelis have developed a Stealth C130, they could only look at it and say...

"HOLY FUCK, its fucking huge"

Hahahaha. Yeah, I forgot about that.:duh: