PDA

View Full Version : FNH upgrades SAW

bobdina
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
FNH USA has upgraded its M249 squad automatic weapon by making it easier for soldiers to load and adding more space for mounting accessories.
So-called belt holding pawls make it easier for gunners to make sure rounds of ammo stay put. ( COURTESY OF FNH USA)

The improved M249, the primary support weapon for U.S. Army and Marine Corps infantry squads, now features special "belt holding pawls" or posts mounted on the feed tray designed to keep the 5.56mm linked ammunition in place until the gunner closes the feed tray cover, FNH USA's Jim Sharp, deputy director for crew served weapon systems said at the Association of the United States Army's Annual Meeting and Exposition.

The feature makes loading easier because troops don't have to hold the belt of ammo in place - gunners can just hook a belt of ammo over top of the feed pawls and the rounds stay put.

The belt holding pawls are a standard feature on two U.S. Special Operations Command machine guns, the MK46 in 5.56mm and MK48 in 7.62mm machine gun, which are also made by FN.

FN began working with the Army on the improvements to the M249 in early 2008 after hearing feedback from combat troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The improvements include a new M1913 rail attachment that replaces the current handguard.

"You have the rails now at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock," positions for mounting lights and other attachments, Sharp said. The improved M249 also features titanium bipod legs and more durable pins that connect the buttstock to the receiver and the pistol grip to the receiver.

The new pins feature retaining clips on the outside of the pin, Sharp said. The pins on the current M249 have a retaining clip mounted on the inside of the receiver, but they tended to wear out under heavy use, "and you could lose your whole pin," Sharp said.

Army weapons officials will look at buying the improved M249s to replace the current M249s as they wear out, said Col. Doug Tamilio, project manager for Soldier Weapons.

http://www.defensenews.com/osd_story.php?sh=VSDA&i=4312462&c=HOM&s=TOP

ghost
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like they might be trying to sway the military from choosing the IAR.

bobdina
10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like they might be trying to sway the military from choosing the IAR.

Only the Corps is going with the IAR and they will not replace all their SAW's with them either, the support units will still have them issued according to the latest article in the Marine Corps Times. The Army has no plans whatsoever at this time to replace the SAW, so I'm sure this was to make sure they don't even think of looking at something else.

ghost
10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Only the Corps is going with the IAR and they will not replace all their SAW's with them either, the support units will still have them issued according to the latest article in the Marine Corps Times. The Army has no plans whatsoever at this time to replace the SAW, so I'm sure this was to make sure they don't even think of looking at something else.

By support units you mean the weapons sections, right? Doesn't that basically reduce the lethality(and effectiveness) of a fireteam? Personally, I think they're making a mistake. Of course, I have never been in combat, but this is how I see it.