PDA

View Full Version : Memorial wall to fallen Royal Marines unveiled

bobdina
09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Memorial wall to fallen Royal Marines unveiled
A History and Honour news article

29 Sep 09

Hundreds of serving and former Royal Marines and their families gathered at a special service on Sunday to unveil a new memorial wall commemorating those who have fallen in battle since 2000.
The specially designed memorial wall was unveiled at the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines, Lympstone, Devon, on Sunday 27 September 2009.

The wall, hewn from granite, was draped in a giant Royal Marines flag until ceremonially uncovered following a service of dedication.

Invited guests at Lympstone took part in the religious service and watched a parade of veterans and trainee and serving Royal Marines, led by the Royal Marines Association and accompanied by the Royal Marines Band.

Major General Andy Salmon, Commandant General Royal Marines, said after the ceremony:

"This was a very poignant occasion with the unveiling and dedication of this fantastic memorial wall. It serves as a celebration of the lives of those who made the ultimate sacrifice of their lives since the year 2000."

Families of Royal Marines who have died in battle look for the names of their loved ones on the new memorial wall
"Since 1999 the Royal Marines have been busier than normal and ever since 9/11 in 2001 there has been an intense schedule of operations leading to greater numbers of Marines dying.

"To mark our dead we have many memorials scattered throughout different units across the country. But in these new circumstances we therefore became aware of the need for one central memorial to mark the commitment and sacrifice of our people and here we have the wall at Lympstone in Devon."

He added that the memorial represented the ethos and characteristics of Royal Marines and the Corps; it being made of granite symbolising the spirit of 'determination, selflessness, courage, sacrifice and cheerfulness'.

The wall is shaped like the Rock of Gibraltar - the battle honour symbol of the Royal Marine Corps. It has seven pillars, with one missing, a representation of the eight people making up a Royal Marines section - the missing pillar marking a tragic loss.

On the wall are 45 plaques representing the 45 Royal Marines who have died since 2000, although the memorial service included one further Marine who died recently, said Major General Salmon.

He described the shining metal plaques as 'stars in the firmament' representing the Marines who would 'never be forgotten'.

Major General Salmon added:

"This is a very special occasion for all the families of Marines who have died. The Corps of Royal Marines is an extended family in the greater sense and includes all those who have been connected with them, including veterans and current families of serving Marines.

"This service and the memorial wall will help those with brothers, fathers and other relatives come to terms with their sad loss.

"This is a poignant day for me as well because I and others have recently returned from operations in Afghanistan where people

nastyleg
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Glad to see this done. I have gotten the precieved image of the UK civilians as a noncaring, hating, persons. This gives me hope. Even though it is through the military hopefully it will be what our Vietnam Memorial Wall is to them. A chance for healing and understanding of the great sacrifice given by these brave souls.

GTFPDQ
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Eric, the UK public is usually apathetic about most things. Those members of the public who live close to Military bases arent. They like the military, they will stand in the rain for a parade or a military funeral.

The UK public in general, is proud of the Armed Forces. I myself dont understand why, given the apathy that seems to bubble on the surface of the population, I can only imagine that its in the psyche of the population, that the military are special.

Ive taken part in 3 Freedom Of The City parades, and there was always a good turnout of the public lining the streets.

ghost
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Eric, the UK public is usually apathetic about most things. Those members of the public who live close to Military bases arent. They like the military, they will stand in the rain for a parade or a military funeral.

The UK public in general, is proud of the Armed Forces. I myself dont understand why, given the apathy that seems to bubble on the surface of the population, I can only imagine that its in the psyche of the population, that the military are special.

Ive taken part in 3 Freedom Of The City parades, and there was always a good turnout of the public lining the streets.

Hmm. They seem to care more than the American general public.

nastyleg
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Charlie that is great to hear. Just about all I hear on the news and see online about the UK general public is the lack of support....I am HAPPY to be wrong on this one. Thank you for setting me straight.

GTFPDQ
09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Dont get me wrong, I would imagine that the majority of the population is against the war. But they arent stupid, they know its the government thats at fault.

Also the British Legion helps a great deal. They organise and join parades. The UK needs to get the spirit of 82 going. I was amazed at the reception when we got back from the Falklands. Street parties, slap on the back and free pint in the pub.

The Troubles in Northern Ireland, stopped us wearing uniform in public, stopped city parades and caused the public to see us as a news headline. Now that the troops can do all that again, they are in the publics eye.