PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to women on subs mixed

bobdina
09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Reaction to women on subs mixed

Staff report
Posted : Tuesday Sep 29, 2009 7:03:45 EDT

The Facebook pages of Navy leadership have morphed into online discussion boards in the wake of last week’s news that top civilian and uniformed leaders back the idea of putting women aboard submarines.

Opinions posted on the pages hosted by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (SS/SW) Rick West are mixed between support and opposition both from active-duty men and women, retirees and civilians. Both posted “status updates” on their Facebook pages Friday afternoon, which kick-started the discussions.

West, a submariner, posted a link to a Navy Times story on his page Friday and has had 75 Facebook users offer up their thoughts on the controversial topic.

“Time will tell how soundly it will work or not,” wrote one member. “It will bring challenges with the confines of a submarine — but there are those who will be mature enough to handle it. I know some female Sailors who are not just hard-chargers, but super-chargers, and I believe in their abilities as Sailors.”

To avoid the problems expected with mixed crews, some suggest all female crews. Others were not so generous.

“This is a crazy!” wrote a sonar technician submariner. “I cannot think of one good thing a woman would bring to the sub force. I work with them on shore duty and let me tell you, there will be thousands of sexual harassment cases and mast cases that stem from their addition.”

Submarines, SEAL teams and riverine boat crews are the only Navy communities closed to women. The air and surface fleets integrated in 1993.

One female sailor said she wouldn’t want orders to a sub. A chief submariner thinks women should serve in the undersea fleet. He wrote:

“As a Navy Chief serving on submarines, I think that women have every right to serve on subs and are just as capable, if not more, than men. The real issue that will come out of all this is funding.”

Have an opinion? We’d like to hear from you. Join the discussion by e-mailing reporter Andrew Scutro at ascutro@navytimes.com.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/09/navy_facebooksub_092809w/

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-30-2009, 12:16 AM
At the risk of sounding like Pauline Kael, no one I know in the sub community thinks this is a good idea. No one. At best, some of us would concede the idea of switching from the boomer blue crew/gold crew rotation to the blue crew/pink crew, but while an all female crew addresses the issues of sexual conduct, they do nothing about the other things I talked about (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=4002): health issues, pregnancies and exposure to ionizing radiation, lesser physical strength for maintenance and casualty controls problems. Well, I suppose we could handle the last problem by making the Blue Crew do everything during the post patrol refit...