PDA

View Full Version : Submariner Awarded Bronze Star for duty in Iraq

bobdina
09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Submariner Awarded Bronze Star
September 18, 2009
Navy News

KINGS BAY, Ga. - A submariner was awarded Bronze Star for combat operations while serving an individual augmentee during a ceremony held at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga.

Lt.j.g. Warren Bowman, who has been in the Navy for 19 years, served as an individual augmentee at Camp Hit, Iraq from September 2008-April 2009. He was an electronic warfare officer with the Joint Counter Radio Controlled Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Electronic Warfare Composition Squadron 1, Multi-National Corps-Iraq in direct support of 3rd Battalion 7th Marines and 2nd Battalion 1st Marines.

Rear Adm. Barry Bruner, commander Submarine Group 10, presented Bowman the Bronze Star on behalf of Lt. Gen. Charles Jacoby Jr., USA, commanding general Multi-National Corps-Iraq.

The narrative accompanying the award stated, Bowman "directed the fielding, sustainment, and upgrades of 360 complex high-powered crew systems, directly contributing to a significant reduction of radio-controlled improvised explosive device threats. He expertly maintained and upgraded a varied $20.5 million inventory of 360 crew systems and volunteered to assist with critical infrastructure and economic projects in the Hit, Kubaysa, and Baghdad areas, totaling over $250,000 that directly improved the quality of life for the residents of these areas and made significant contributions to counter-insurgency efforts in Al Anbar province."

"Lieutenant Bowman's award of the Bronze Star is indicative of his significant impact in Iraq as the award says "for exceptionally meritorious service in a combat zone with exposure to hostile action," said Bruner."Lieutenant Bowman had the opportunity and jumped at it! And I'm very proud of him."

"This has been overwhelming," said Bowman, who is currently assigned to Submarine Squadron 20. "I'm grateful that everyone that was with us in Iraq came home alive! And anyone is thinking about doing an IA, do it! It is definitely worth while!"

"Lieutenant Bowman has been an outstanding addition to the Submarine Squadron 20 team since his return from Iraq and is already one of my top performing Officers," said Capt. Kevin Brenton, commodore of Submarine Squadron 20. "Having seen his enthusiasm, dedication and technical expertise in action here in Kings Bay, it doesn't surprise me at all that Lieutenant Bowman is being awarded the Bronze Star for his volunteer service in Iraq. I'm very privileged to have Lieutenant Bowman on our team. He should be justifiably proud of his accomplishments - I know we are!

ghost
09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Awesome. While he may not have served in front line combat, this is still a job well done. He saved many lives. Congrats.

Scott
09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
well, i guess thats where heats & minds comes into play along with other things, thats great that he had a big impact in the city with the work he done, he deserves every last bit of the medal he has been awarded.

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-19-2009, 01:17 AM
A get a smile on my face thinking about a guy wearing a subdued set of fish on his chest in Iraq. I'm sure he got more than one double-take from someone while he was there.

JUGERNAUT
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
a get a smile on my face thinking about a guy wearing a subdued set of fish on his chest in iraq. I'm sure he got more than one double-take from someone while he was there.

me too