PDA

View Full Version : Our Boys need gear to survive

Scott
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Our Boys need gear to survive
By TOM NEWTON DUNN
and ANDY CRICK

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/StonedSOD/SNN1808PX-280_891336a.jpg

A FORMER British forces commander in Afghanistan last night backed the family of a tragic serjeant who have blamed lack of resources for his death.

Colonel Richard Kemp slammed the "penny-pinching" Government for letting down troops.

And he said PM Gordon Brown needed to act NOW to make sure Our Boys in hard-hit front line bases get the vital equipment they need to stay alive.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/StonedSOD/SNN1808F-380_891290a.jpg
Killed ... Trooper Brett Hall

Colonel Kemp said: "There are nowhere near enough troops or helicopters to operate effectively, dominate the ground and collect vital intelligence, all of which are essential, not optional in this kind of fighting.

"They must also be given the best-protected, high mobility vehicles... whatever the expense."

He spoke after the family of fallen hero Paul McAleese, son of SAS siege legend John, criticised the Government.

The 29-year-old serjeant died in the IED-littered terrain surrounding 2 Rifles' embattled Sangin base.

Paul's father-in-law Stephen Minter - backed by the hero's mum Kim Early and sister Hayley - wrote to Mr Brown telling him the lack of kit had turned soldiers into sitting ducks.

Colonel Kemp agreed.

He added: "The time has come for the Prime Minister to form a war cabinet to drive forward our campaign.

"This should include putting the relevant parts of industry on to a war footing so vehicles, equipment and ammunition can be produced round the clock in order to meet demand.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/StonedSOD/SUN_891299a.jpg

"Soldiers volunteer to join the Army and to fight in Afghanistan. Most go into theatre with professional zeal.

"But when the Government sends our troops into battle there can be no penny-pinching half measures, as there have been, or we will be condemning some to die unnecessarily."

The MoD admitted last month that commanders moved troops away from the Taliban stomping ground of Sangin to form the attacking force for Operation Panther's Claw. That left 2 Rifles dangerously exposed.

The 13th soldier from the battalion to die in Sangin was named as acting Serjeant Stuart McGrath, 28, from Princes Risborough, Bucks.

He leaves behind wife Emma, three sons, Ryan, Daniel and Dylan, and baby daughter Niamh, who was born in June.

Emma said: "Stuart was a loving husband, amazing father, son, brother, cousin and a friend to many. We are very proud of him."

The battalion has lost more than any other UK unit to fight in the Afghan badlands. Seventy members have been wounded by IEDs in the last four months alone.

In a further snub to Paul's family, it emerged yesterday that the PM's aides have been sitting on their letter for ten days. Downing Street last night insisted the PM is now drafting an urgent reply.

Another Brit hero to die in Afghanistan was named last night as Trooper Brett Hall, 21, from 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.

He was blown up in a Viking armoured vehicle near Musa Qala. Brett, from Dartmouth, Devon, was flown home for treatment but died at Birmingham's Selly Oak Hospital surrounded by his family.

Trooper Hall's CO, Lt Col Marcus Simson, said: "His death leaves an indescribable hole in our hearts. He was loved by all."

Meanwhile the new head of the British Army, General Sir David Richards, yesterday warned defeat for the international coalition in Afghanistan would convince terrorists "anything might be possible".

And former special forces commander Lieutenant-General Sir Graeme Lamb said an offer of cash could persuade Afghan insurgents to drop their weapons.

A SUICIDE car bomber yesterday killed six Italian soldiers and ten Afghan civilians in Kabul.

[Source - www.thesun.co.uk ]

GTFPDQ
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
It getting way beyond sad. Something has to give!

ghost
09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Why is funding being cut? Why aren't they getting the kit that they need?

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Just a thought. Michael Yon was embedded with 2 Rifles mere weeks ago, and was suddenly and without explanation (or at least any which Yon is willing to make public) given the boot. Could that have been preemptive by the MoD trying to get ahead of protests they knew were coming, by removing a guy in a prime position to question the men of 2 Rifles, who could give first hand account of their equipment shortcomings, and who was just the kind of journalist who would feel honor bound to report these things?

ghost
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Just a thought. Michael Yon was embedded with 2 Rifles mere weeks ago, and was suddenly and without explanation (or at least any which Yon is willing to make public) given the boot. Could that have been preemptive by the MoD trying to get ahead of protests they knew were coming, by removing a guy in a prime position to question the men of 2 Rifles, who could give first hand account of their equipment shortcomings, and who was just the kind of journalist who would feel honor bound to report these things?

Hmm. Sounds suspicious. I guess it's possible.

Scott
09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
definatly sounds possible and something along them lines went down.

all i can say is most of this shit is fucked up with our boys and the bullshit politics.

nastyleg
09-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Aides sitting on the letter for 10 days!! Come the fuck on this is very very very disgraceful.

Bisley_Bob
09-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Why is funding being cut? Why aren't they getting the kit that they need?

Because Gordon Brown and his band of merry thieves don't give a fuck. As they have proven time and time again by getting up in front of everyone and saying that our armed forces are well funded and have all the kit they need. I really don't know what their agenda is and why they want soldiers to die in Afghanistan, but if they didn't then we wouldn't see the Armed forces penny pinching to the point of insanity at the moment. And believe me, there are big cutbacks underway, I'm from a TA Infantry unit with operational commitments in 2010 and 2011 we've had exercises cancelled, and next years training schedule is very barren. We're also being expected to do extra career courses and such for free as there isn't the money to pay us. It's criminal.

ghost
09-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Because Gordon Brown and his band of merry thieves don't give a fuck. As they have proven time and time again by getting up in front of everyone and saying that our armed forces are well funded and have all the kit they need. I really don't know what their agenda is and why they want soldiers to die in Afghanistan, but if they didn't then we wouldn't see the Armed forces penny pinching to the point of insanity at the moment. And believe me, there are big cutbacks underway, I'm from a TA Infantry unit with operational commitments in 2010 and 2011 we've had exercises cancelled, and next years training schedule is very barren. We're also being expected to do extra career courses and such for free as there isn't the money to pay us. It's criminal.

Wow. Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Something needs to be done.

nastyleg
09-21-2009, 02:13 AM

Holy fuck I had no idea it was that bad. My heart goes out to you guys. At least you have the balls to defend your country while PM Brown fucks it up. He needs to be taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose for what he is doing.

Bisley_Bob
09-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Another nice number that I remembered is next year our ammunition budget is 1/3 of what it was this year, and we were by no means swimming in it this year either. This is the kind of stuff you expect from Eastern Bloc and African armies. All I can hope is that the budget gets a huge increase soon, but i'm sure Brown will dissapoint as usual.

Toki
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Can we just adopt the UK? We'll let you have your econmy but we'll give you bullets.

Scott
09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Can we just adopt the UK? We'll let you have your econmy but we'll give you bullets.i wish it was that simple, our PM is also looking to put the bills up by 3p or something, which will make 6billion more, which is even more fucked up if hes not forking out on gear for the troops.

ghost
09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, this is not right. There need to be some major changes.

Bisley_Bob
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
He'll just use the extra cash to pay more benefits to single mums or some bollocks like that. Spending it on Defence would be far too sensible!

nastyleg
09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you guys need to have yourselves a "Tea Party"

Toki
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure how that would play out. What would they dress up as?

ghost
09-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure how that would play out. What would they dress up as?

Well, they wouldn't dress up as anything. It would just be an organized rally.

nastyleg
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

holding signs like "Down with PM Brown" or "Shame on PM Brown for letting us down"

ghost
09-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, or something like, "Stop being a bitch, we need our kit!". :lol:

Bisley_Bob
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
How can you shame a man who has no concept of honour? He's been under a tonne of pressure to do something about this for ages but it doesn't phase him.

Toki
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM

You fail to see my intended lol. The Americans dressed up as Native Americans and threw tea of off the British boats. What would the British dress up as if they were to organize their own tea party?

ghost
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
You fail to see my intended lol. The Americans dressed up as Native Americans and threw tea of off the British boats. What would the British dress up as if they were to organize their own tea party?

LOL. I know that. But there have actually been many "Tea Partys" in the US recently, over the political situation(health care, for example). But they are simply organized rallies.

GTFPDQ
09-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Unless the armed forces laid down tools and walked off, nothing will be done. The UK Mil is too professional and steeped in tradition for that to ever happen. However, I think that politicians should have had to have served in the armed forces, their sons and daughters should serve and their wives should help in aiding wounded and maimed service members. The politicians would soon find out what is need to keep their children alive.

nastyleg
09-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Unless the armed forces laid down tools and walked off, nothing will be done. The UK Mil is too professional and steeped in tradition for that to ever happen. However, I think that politicians should have had to have served in the armed forces, their sons and daughters should serve and their wives should help in aiding wounded and maimed service members. The politicians would soon find out what is need to keep their children alive.

This should be for any nation. Those who send others to war should fight in them first. Love that policy Charlie.
The "Tea Parties" would be held by civilians. Like the rallies held here in America.