PDA

View Full Version : U.K. James 'Jim' Adamson, Military Cross, Afghanistan

bobdina
09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
The Military Cross (MC) is the third level military decoration awarded to officers and (since 1993) other ranks of the British Armed Forces and formerly also to officers of other Commonwealth countries.

The MC is granted in recognition of "an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land to all members, of any rank in Our Armed Forces…".[2] In 1979 the Queen approved a proposal that a number of awards including the Military Cross could in future be awarded posthumously.

An Army Officer from the Isle of Man recently awarded the Military Cross for his 'supreme physical courage' and 'calm leadership' in combat recalls his fearless bayonet-charge towards the enemy to ensure the safety of his platoon.
Lieutenant James 'Jim' Adamson MC

Lieutenant James 'Jim' Adamson, aged 24, then a platoon commander with 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, has already been awarded a Mention in Dispatches (MiD), the oldest form of recognition for gallantry within the UK Armed Forces, in the previous Operational Honours list in March, for his bravery in Afghanistan.

Shortly after the incident that earned him a MiD, Lt Adamson's platoon came into repeated contact with enemy forces during a mission to secure a strategically important district centre on 7 October 2008.

His platoon continued to advance, but the sections became separated as they secured the compounds taken:

"My sections were static but too far apart for my liking," said Lt Adamson. "I was positioned with the mortar fire controller and the interpreter to the north, 100 metres from each between two sections - which is a long way in the Green Zone."

As they moved up a shallow stream to link up with one of the sections, two enemy fighters emerged five metres in front of them firing a machine gun. Lt Adamson immediately shouldered his weapon and, as the mortar fire controller fired, made a bayonet-charge towards the enemy.

His citation reads:

"Adamson's leadership throughout the day was exceptional. His actions neutralised an enemy flanking attack that could have resulted in his platoon taking casualties. Adamson's supreme physical courage, combined with the calm leadership he continued to display after such a traumatic and bloody experience, was of the very highest order.

"He set the greatest possible example to the company and had an inspirational effect on his men for the final hard remaining weeks of the tour. Adamson's actions on this day are deserving of the highest official recognition."

Lt Adamson said:

"I was acting on auto-pilot more than anything. The nature of the terrain and conflict there means it is more natural that platoon commanders see action now rather than stand back and command."

His girlfriend, Sophie Bewick, who attended the ceremony with him, said:

"I'm very proud of what he did, although I did make him promise before he left that he wouldn't do anything dangerous and get a medal. And he comes back with two!"

Lt Adamson is currently a Company Second-in-Command of his Canterbury-based battalion and will soon undertake a two-month posting to the Falkland Islands.