PDA

View Full Version : Tory: Our £30bn of war cuts

Scott
09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
DEFENCE projects worth £30billion face the chop under a Tory government, George Osborne sensationally let slip yesterday.

The Shadow Chancellor said two Royal Navy supercarriers, transport planes and Typhoon fighter jets could be scrapped.

At the same time, Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth revealed Labour could CUT the Trident nuclear submarine fleet from four to three to save costs.

And he bowed to The Sun's barrage of criticism by declaring "Afghanistan First" for defence spending.

Mr Osborne's announcement is certain to infuriate senior Conservatives who were not briefed about the plans.

Union chiefs warned of "devastating" defence job losses. Experts also said a proper review of defence costs was needed before any decisions.

Mr Osborne promised a budget within weeks of an election win. Early casualties could include the £20billion Eurofighter/Typhoon.

But he admitted he did not "know what the break clauses are" in the programme.

Meanwhile, Mr Ainsworth said cutting the Trident fleet will be "looked at" if the sea deterrent is not damaged.

And he finally promised troops all they need to fight the Taliban - a victory for The Sun's "Don't you know there's a bloody war on?" campaign.

He also said a "great debt" was owed to the 62 troops killed and 200 wounded in action this summer.

[Source - The Sun]

GTFPDQ
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
This is starting to piss me off. Can I just say, WE ARE AT FUCKING WAR!!!!!!!

How can they even consider cuts, we send our best and brightest to fight and even die for government policy. Then the government pulls the rug out from under them.

The UK is becoming a joke, and that saddens me as I love my country.

nastyleg
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Charlie I want you to let your fellow outraged Brittons that they are not alone.Let it be me and a few others. This is a sad note for your government.

bobdina
09-16-2009, 08:33 PM
This is starting to piss me off. Can I just say, WE ARE AT FUCKING WAR!!!!!!!

How can they even consider cuts, we send our best and brightest to fight and even die for government policy. Then the government pulls the rug out from under them.

The UK is becoming a joke, and that saddens me as I love my country.

As for the politicians I agree , like I said I have been reading more and more on your political situation as I cannot stand it when people criticize other governments and don't have a clue as to the inner workings of it so I am reading more and more about your politics. I do have some questions I'll ask in the crewroom though, Bob

ghost
09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Why the hell would they do this?