PDA

View Full Version : Wootton Bassett gets HM backing

Scott
09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
THE Queen has asked Gordon Brown to consider granting the 'Royal' prefix to Wootton Bassett in honour of the town's remarkable support of Britain's fallen heroes.

Residents of the Wiltshire market town have proudly lined the streets dozens of times over the last two years to pay their respects as the bodies of repatriated servicemen pass through.

Retired Naval officer Bill Thomas, 62, wrote to Her Majesty asking if she would consider renaming the town Royal Wootton Bassett to mark the town's patriotism.

He has now received a reply from Buckingham Palace confirming the Queen has taken "careful note" of his suggestion and asked the Prime Minister to "consider" it.

Despite being Sovereign, the Queen cannot grant a Royal prefix without the approval of ministers.

The reply reads: "Her Majesty has taken careful note of your comments requesting official recognition for the village of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, in honour of the respect accorded to every fallen soldier, killed during their tour of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, when their funeral cortege passes through the village from RAF Lyneham.

As a constitutional Sovereign, the Queen acts on the advice of her Ministers and I have, therefore, been instructed to send your letter to the Right Honourable Gordon Brown MP, Prime Minister, so that he may know of your approach to Her Majesty on this matter, and may consider the points you raise."

There are currently only two towns with the Royal prefix – Royal Tunbridge Wells and Royal Leamington Spa.

Mr Thomas, who lives in Portchester, Hants, said: "The people of Wootton Bassett are doing a fantastic job and should be rewarded.

"I know they're modest people, but they're going to be called 'Royal' if I have anything to do with it.

Advertisement

"There are only two towns in the country with the prefix, and I think it's about time there's one more.

"And I think that one more should be Wootton Bassett."

Wootton Bassett became Britain's unofficial homecoming town in 2007 when nearby RAF Lyneham was made the base for soldier's repatriations.

Since then, a significant proportion of its 11,000 residents have lined the High Street to pay their respects as the bodies pass by on their way to a hospital in Oxfordshire.

If the town is to receive the 'Royal' prefix, the proposal must have the backing of the Prime Minister and Government.

It is understood that the request will be discussed by Cabinet, before a final decision is made in coming months.

Royal Tunbridge Wells was given the prefix by King Edward VII in 1909, in recognition of its popularity with the Royal family.

It was added to Leamington Spa in 1838 by Queen Victoria, who had visited the town eight years previously as a Princess.