PDA

View Full Version : Now That Russia Is Losing...

Toki
09-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Now that Russia is losing hold of the Caucasus, again, what is the over/under that Russia responds with a full military operation?

GTFPDQ
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Any chance that you can give us some press link or reason for asking?

Toki
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Any chance that you can give us some press link or reason for asking?

Give me till tonight when I have some free time to post the links.

Toki
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2009/08/mil-090819-rferl02.htm

This should do for now. I'm having trouble find reliable sources.

ghost
09-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I sure as hell hope that they don't. If they lose their foothold in that region, it will open up a whole doorway for corruption, terrorism, illegal activities, and who knows what else.

GTFPDQ
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
The Russians could be the root cause of their own problems in the region. Unlike the US in Iraq, the Russians forgot about the effects of their military intervention in the area. Basically they bombed the shit out of the place, displaced the population and done nothing to help stabalise the region.

So I get your question now, and the Caucasus may still be the "soft underbelly of Europe". Can the Russians fix it, it too late for that 17 years is a long time to let a resentful population simmer.

By the way the average age is 22ish, thats a lot of young unhappy people.

ghost
09-16-2009, 12:41 AM
The Russians could be the root cause of their own problems in the region. Unlike the US in Iraq, the Russians forgot about the effects of their military intervention in the area. Basically they bombed the shit out of the place, displaced the population and done nothing to help stabalise the region.

So I get your question now, and the Caucasus may still be the "soft underbelly of Europe". Can the Russians fix it, it too late for that 17 years is a long time to let a resentful population simmer.

By the way the average age is 22ish, thats a lot of young unhappy people.

Hmm. So they just created their own enemy....

Toki
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Bomber blows herself up, killing high ranking police officer in Groznyy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE58F10X20090916