PDA

View Full Version : SAS training soldiers from Libyan regime that provided explosives to IRA terrorists

bobdina
09-12-2009, 12:35 PM
SAS training soldiers from Libyan regime that provided explosives to IRA terrorists

Special forces have been training Libyan soldiers under a Government deal with Colonel Gaddafi, despite his regime having funded many of the IRA’s worst attacks.

SAS soldiers said there was a “weary rolling of the eyes” when they learnt that they would be passing on some of their skills to members of the Libyan infantry.

In the 1980s and 1990s Libya supplied the IRA with Semtex used in at least ten attacks, including the bombings of Harrods in 1983 and Warrington and the City of London ten years later. It was also used by the Real IRA at Omagh in 1998.

Libya also supplied machine guns and anti-aircraft missiles fired at British troops in Northern Ireland.

“The IRA was our greatest adversary. Now we are training their backers. There was a weary rolling of the eyes when we were told about this,” an SAS source told The Daily Telegraph.

“A small SAS training team have been doing it for the last six months as part of this cosy deal with the Libyans,” said another.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: “We have an ongoing co-operation with Libya in the field of defence”. This had been the case since the former rogue state announced in 2003 that it would abandon development of weapons of mass destruction. The Ministry of Defence refused to comment.

The first moves towards setting up the training agreement are believed to have begun after Tony Blair visited Libya as Prime Minister in 2004. However, the deal was only finalised and “signed off” by Gordon Brown this year.

Robin Horsfall, a former SAS soldier who took part in the breaking of the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 and fought the IRA in Northern Ireland, told the newspaper: “There is a long list of British soldiers who have died because of Gaddafi funding terrorists. The SAS is being ordered to do something it knows is morally wrong.”

The SAS team is believed to comprise up to 14 men and is offering training in counter-terrorism techniques, including covert surveillance.

It is not expected to pass on the “full spectrum of techniques” learnt from fighting Islamic terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last week Mr Brown announced that he would set up a Foreign Office team dedicated to assisting victims of bombings using Semtex supplied to the IRA by Libya.

Lawyers representing 138 British victims of IRA attacks had asked the Prime Minister to negotiate with Libya for compensation, but the Government has done little to promote their claims. Colonel Gaddafi’s son, Saif Saif al-Islam, said that Libya would fight the claims. The US government has already gained $1.5 billion (£900 million) in compensation from Libya for American victims of terrorism sponsored by the regime in its days as a pariah state, including those of the Lockerbie disaster, in which 270 people died, most of them Americans returing to the US for Christmas.

However, Colonel Gaddafi would not draw the money from state funds, and instead approached foreign oil companies hoping to do business in Libya to donate to the US compensation pot.

A senior human rights lawyer has called for an independent inquiry into the Lockerbie bombing. Gareth Peirce, who has represented a string of victims of miscarriage of justice, believes forensic evidence that led to the conviction of Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi was flawed. She said Britain “bears the responsibility for there being an adequate investigation”.

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ.

Is Blighty going to have to have another 'connect-the-dots' moment before it figures out that a scorpion is a scorpion is a scorpion. (http://www.peacefaq.com/frogtale.html)

Bisley_Bob
09-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Yep, Labour are mongs, what more evidence do you need! Pretty much every average Joe in Britain is outraged by this, we vote people in to speak for us but this government have just been running their own agenda.
I'd heard from other news sources that they were training them only in basic infantry skills, so there is some conflicting info there. I do know however that the SAS are not comprised of idiots and they won't be teaching the most up to date advanced stuff, and will be really studying the Lybians' tactics so that if we do fight them we'll have a nice advantage.

ghost
09-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Yep, Labour are mongs, what more evidence do you need! Pretty much every average Joe in Britain is outraged by this, we vote people in to speak for us but this government have just been running their own agenda.
I'd heard from other news sources that they were training them only in basic infantry skills, so there is some conflicting info there. I do know however that the SAS are not comprised of idiots and they won't be teaching the most up to date advanced stuff, and will be really studying the Lybians' tactics so that if we do fight them we'll have a nice advantage.

Yeah. I hear ya. I'm sure it's quite frustrating.

Regardless of how well these Libyans can fight, I'm sure they're no contest for the SAS.

bobdina
09-15-2009, 12:06 PM

I cannot remember(broken record) where I read it but they (SAS troopers) are not giving the same training they would to a friendly government because they are really pissed off they have to do this after losing mates during the troubles. However as they are great soldiers they follow orders and train these guy's , outsiders have no idea of their capabilities so they can teach them anything and they (Libyans) would think they are getting the best training out there. (ps, like how I typed like a Brit in the post mates, the troubles you guy's are getting to me)

Bisley_Bob
09-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Ha ha, nice effort. Although i'd have written something like "they are really pissed off that they have to do this after losing mates to the IRA scum", you can replace scum with most swear words as well (just not sure if this bit is free fire on language like the crewroom). Also, if you say someone is pissed, they're drunk, pissed off is angry. You need to get going on some slang and cockney rhyming slang so you can wow your mates down the pub.

bobdina
09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Ha ha, nice effort. Although i'd have written something like "they are really pissed off that they have to do this after losing mates to the IRA scum", you can replace scum with most swear words as well (just not sure if this bit is free fire on language like the crewroom). Also, if you say someone is pissed, they're drunk, pissed off is angry. You need to get going on some slang and cockney rhyming slang so you can wow your mates down the pub.

Corrected what I can. Thanks now I have another saying

Bisley_Bob
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
We'll make a proper geezer out of you yet!

GTFPDQ
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Rob, the hooligans are, as you said providing, counter terrorist training, but without the good bits.

ghost
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sure that the boys in the SAS know what they're doing. They are the best, after all:evilgrin: