PDA

View Full Version : Calif. lawmaker pushes for valor award review

bobdina
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Calif. lawmaker pushes for valor award review

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Sep 10, 2009 10:06:32 EDT

A panel of Medal of Honor recipients would have a say in the process of issuing military awards for valor under a compromise being pushed by a California lawmaker.

Rep. Duncan D. Hunter, R-Calif., a freshman congressman who served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, believes a panel of people who have already received the military’s highest medal for gallantry and valor could look over the paperwork of nominations for awards to determine if they are appropriate, given the heroic act that led to the nomination.

“In some cases, many cases, I think a panel of 10 or so people who have received the Medal of Honor would look at citations and recommend an ‘up-award,’ such as taking a Navy Cross and making it a Medal of Honor,” Hunter said Wednesday. “In some cases, they might recommend reducing an award.”

A panel would not have the final word but simply would advise Defense Secretary Robert Gates of their recommendation on the appropriate medal — which could be ignored.

“The key thing, though, is that they would have their own experience on which to judge decisions,” Hunter said. “They would be able to make comparisons about why they received the medal to the citation, and would know if this act is deserving of a higher award.”

Hunter’s suggestion comes as part of a year-long effort he has made to get a full review of the criteria used for valor awards. In particular, he wants a review to look at why no Medal of Honor has been awarded to a living service member since Vietnam.

“I don’t have a quota in mind, like there needs to be five Medals of Honor handed out in the next two years, but I think it is worth looking at why there has not been one to a living person in 40 years,” he said.

Hunter said his call for a review, approved by the House of Representatives as part of its version of the 2010 defense authorization bill, has received criticism from some lawmakers for pushing politics into the awards process.

Hunter said that is not his intent. “Congress really has nothing to do with it and should not have anything to do with it,” he said.

He is pitching the idea of a Medal of Honor review panel to colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee, who are in negotiations with the Senate Armed Services Committee over final details of the 2010 defense policy bill. A final bill is expected to come from those talks by about Oct. 1, the start of the fiscal year.

Exactly how many people would serve on a panel and how they would be selected has not been decided, Hunter said.

“I don’t want politics involved in this at all, so I would be happy if the Medal of Honor Society picked the panel members,” he said. “I just think it would be good to have an independent review.”

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/09/military_medal_of_honor_hunter_091009w/

scoutsout80
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
As much as I think he is well-intentioned and probably right, it is not the business of Congress to be muddling with awards....they should be worrying about other things like deficits, obamacare, cap and trade, taxes, the economy, and the gross graft and corruption of some of their own like Rangel, Murtha etc.

bobdina
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I think most congressmen/politicians think the Medal of Honor is the Congressional medal of Honor like the majority of civilians do, they think that because the award
It sometimes is referred to as the "Congressional Medal of Honor" because the president awards it on behalf of the Congress.http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/history.html.

The medal is frequently called the Congressional Medal of Honor, stemming from its award by the Department of Defense "in the name of Congress" though the official and correct title is Medal of Honor.

congress has nothing to do with it or who get's it unless it's for someone overlooked in past conflicts then they can request a review of the award that was issued..
Sorry for ranting a little but it's a pet peeve of mine, Christ I have even heard active duty/vet's and retiree's call it the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Anyway that's why I think these guy's try to get involved.

scoutsout80
09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I am aware of the award and its issuance. What I meant by him being right is what he said, not that congress should make it an issue. I believe those that have walked the walk might be better placed to determine if it should be awarded....heck, we have done boards for everything in the Army (promotion, awards, administrative issues)

bobdina
09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I totally agree with you, I just went on my little rant because it gave me an opening to post about the Medal not being congressional. I think those that have received the award are in a much better position to review them then the SECDEF . Even those that have not received the award but have been in real combat are better then some pencil pushers having the final say. A perfect example is the SECDEF denying the Medal for Marine Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who was approved by everyone in the Chain of Command except Sec. Gates http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=2521

scoutsout80
09-10-2009, 03:36 PM
SGT Peralta case is a travesty.

bobdina
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
SGT Peralta case is a travesty.

You said right there bro Travesty , big time. especially after the Commandant of The Corps tells the mother her son will be getting the Medal.

nastyleg
09-11-2009, 12:47 AM
All though I do agree with Gates on him letting the generals running the war, unlike Pelosi or Obama, He has let me down on this issue. The MOH has nothing to do with politics but has to do with Valor, Integrity, Honor, Selfless Service, Dedication, Duty. This young Congressman has good intentions but leave it to the rest of his peers to fuck it up.

bobdina
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I had much respect for Sec. Gates until this issue came up. It's funny how 1 issue can change my whole outlook on the man but what he did to that family was fucked. It would not have been so bad if someone in the chain of command had a question about it but no one did until it reached Gates and someone mentioned to him that Sgt. Rafael Peralta may have been hit by U.S. fire(should not make a difference) before he pulled the grenade under him . He should of just approved it as there is the very rigid standards in place at the lower levels just to get submitted for the Medal, form the witness's to the commanders at all levels. Total bullshit and he lost all respect on this one. (but he does not merit a duchebag of the royal order yet) I think for this issue I will award him the Jackass of the 1st degree.