PDA

View Full Version : Nothern Ireland Operation Banner 1989-2007

bobdina
09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
1-A British soldier on patrol with an officer of the Royal Ulster Constabulary in Belfast a few weeks after the IRA ended its ceasefire and detonated a large bomb at Canary Wharf, London, 1996 [Picture: IWM]

3-Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn, following the detonation of two car bombs on 7 October 1996. One soldier was killed and thirty military and civilian personnel injured - there was no warning [Picture: IWM]

4-A rescue team from HMS Arun participates in Exercise Buoyant Assembly off the coast of County Antrim, 1996 [Picture: IWM]

5-A soldier of 1st Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borders, keeps a look out from an open Land Rover during an evening mobile patrol in Belfast, 1996

6-A soldier of 1 Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment accompanies an officer of the Royal Ulster Constabulary on patrol in Belfast in 1997

bobdina
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
7-Two soldiers of 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, talk to local children at the bottom of the nationalist Garvaghy Road, Portadown, Armagh, amidst rising sectarian tensions in the days before the annual Orange Order Parade and Service at Drumcree, 6 July 1998

8-In 1998, the new Northern Ireland Parades Commission banned the Orange Order from marching along Garvaghy Road, setting up road blocks, moats and barbed wire, here soldiers of 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment, patrol the barbed wire defences

89-A soldier of 1st Battalion, Scots Guards mans the heavy steel barricade, reinforced with concrete and barbed wire which the Royal Engineers erected yards from Drumcree Church, 7 July 1998

10-Soldiers from the United Kingdom Stand-By Battalion, The King's Regiment (Liverpool), wait in the rain to move out on patrol in Saxon armoured vehicles from Girdwood Barracks in Belfast in July 1998. The Battalion had been airlifted to Belfast from Blackpool at short notice a few days earlier to assist the Royal Ulster Constabulary in controlling sectarian violence at Drumcree and elsewhere during the parade season

11-A soldier of 1st Royal Green Jackets patrols the Shankill Road in support of the Royal Ulster Constabulary following Loyalist disturbances in the area, 22 August 2000

bobdina
09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
15-A soldier of 1st Royal Green Jackets patrols the Shankill Road in support of the Royal Ulster Constabulary in response to Loyalist disturbances in the area, August 2000

16-Soldiers of 1st Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders man a barricade of Saxon armoured vehicles at the bottom of the Ardoyne Road during the sectarian stand-off at Holy Cross Primary School, Belfast on 10 September 2001. The Royal Ulster Constabulary and British Army were required to shield 45 Catholic children and their parents against approximately 200 Loyalists as they walked to school

19-Soldiers of the Royal Highland Fusiliers wearing riot gear wait in reserve as the Royal Ulster Constabulary hold back Loyalist protesters during a violent confrontation at Drumcree Bridge on the day of the annual Orange Order Parade, 7 July 200

20-Soldiers of the Royal Highland Fusiliers wearing riot gear wait in reserve as the Royal Ulster Constabulary hold back Loyalist protesters during a violent confrontation at Drumcree Bridge on the day of the annual Orange Order Parade, 7 July 2002. In the foreground (left), two RUC members assist an injured police officer

21-An Army bomb disposal expert of the Royal Engineers defuses a Loyalist pipe bomb that was attached to the gates of Holy Cross Catholic Primary School in Ardoyne, North Belfast at the start of the new school term on 5 January 2003. The children remained inside the school building while the bomb was defused

bobdina
09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
1-Second Lieutenant Nicholas Dixon, 1st Royal Green Jackets, talks to two Belfast women in their doorway during the Battalion's first tour of duty in Northern Ireland - 20 August to 18 December 1969

2-Second Lieutenant Robin Martin and Rifleman Andy Walker, 1st Royal Green Jackets, man a barbed wire street barricade in Belfast during the Battalion's first tour of duty in Northern Ireland in 1969

3-Second Lieutenant David Brough, 1st Battalion, The Parachute Regiment and Lance Corporal Bernard Winter, Second Battalion, The Queen's Regiment, patrol a Belfast street with a Saracen armoured personnel carrier. The Queen's Regiment was the first to be deployed in Belfast on 15 August 1969

4-Second Lieutenant Peter Hall, 1st Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets, at a road barricade on a wet winter's day in Belfast, 1969

5-Second Lieutenant Peter Hall, 1st Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets, at a road barricade on a wet winter's day in Belfast, with a rifleman and two children holding Union flags in the background, 1969

bobdina
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
6-Soldiers wearing respirators while on riot control in the Catholic Falls area of Belfast. Broken glass litters the ground and a cloud of CS gas hangs in the air after a night of rioting, July 1970

7-A sentry at a British Army border checkpoint watches the activities of passengers while vehicles are stopped and searched by 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers at the Camel's Hump, Strabane in October 1973

8-Corporal Les Smart, 3rd Battalion The Light Infantry, passes ruined terraced houses during a patrol of one of the Peace Lines in Belfast in 1977

bobdina
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
1-A soldier questions the driver of a car at a temporary check point on the outskirts of Newry, County Down - 1986-1989

2-Head and shoulders portrait of a British soldier during a patrol in Newry, County Down

3-A British Army radio operator vaults a fence into a field during a patrol in Newry, County Down

4-Inside a platform mounted British Army border observation post near Newry, County Down, a soldier keeps watch with binoculars. To his right, a soldier with a camera photographs any activity

5-A British soldier kneels at a street corner during a patrol in Newry, County Down

bobdina
09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
6-A soldier surveys the countryside from his hilltop observation position in Newry, County Down

7-A soldier operates a wheelbarrow remote control bomb disposal vehicle on a country lane near Newry, County Down during the late 1980s. No 321 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, Royal Army Ordnance Corps was responsible for bomb disposal in Northern Ireland, and from 1971 onwards dealt with an estimated 50,000 emergency calls, of which almost 5,500 were actual terrorist device

8-A soldier, rifle in hand, makes a quick call from a public phone box in Newry whilst another member of his patrol stands on the opposite side of the street

9-Fusiliers and Royal Ulster Constabulary policemen outside Newry barracks -

bobdina
09-09-2009, 04:47 PM
10-A British Army dog handler of the Royal Army Veterinary Corp's Army Dog Unit Northern Ireland with his dog in the late 1980s. Army dogs were used in a variety of roles, including security and detection work such as patrolling army base perimeters and locating caches of arms and explosives. Four dog handlers were killed in Northern Ireland during Operation Banner, in two cases, their dogs also died

11-A British soldier checks distant activity in the pedestrian shopping precinct of Newry, County Down, through the gun-sight of his SA80 support rifle

12-Two soldiers man a vehicle check point, probably at the entrance of the Bessbrook Army Base in the Newry area in the late 1980s

GTFPDQ
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks Bob, brings back memories.

bobdina
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Bob, brings back memories.

You gave me the idea on this story http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?t=3654
Your quite welcome

brambling21
12-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Last time I was in Northern Ireland, I never saw a British soldier on patrol, saw plenty of the RUC, now the PSNI, but never a British soldier.

GTFPDQ
12-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Thats a good thing! Let the PSNI get on with their job, good indication that things are changing.

ianstone
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Brings back memories, some good, some bad and some ugly.
Hopefully they will remain memories for the coming generations also.
I have close friends who where injured and some that still bear the scars of P.T.S.D.
or as the say, problems til soldier dies
Quis separabit
for those of you that remember

The ex wife has just burnt over 300 photos of the guys and i since 1969.
Anything that had my face on, plus Red book and medals.
She even told me where to shove my old chevrons,
but no one would see them there
Do you think she was trying to tell me something ?
Guess I'm just getting old.

bu187
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
thanks for the pics

Corndog
05-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice pictures mate, I'll see if I can get some photo's up...

I spent 7 yrs off my 22yrs operational during the Op Banner days.

Corndog
FAB

Corndog
06-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Here you go guys found this all the info reference OP Banner 1969-2007. It includes images and news reports etc.

Enjoy

www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/op_banner/index.htm