PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart

bobdina
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
The Purple Heart medal, originally called the Badge of Military Merit, is the nation’s oldest military decoration, established by Gen. George Washington as a valor award for enlisted soldiers during the American Revolution.
While the design of today’s medal is a heart-shaped, gold and purple medallion bearing Washington’s profile, the 1782 design was a fabric heart made of purple satin, edged with white stitching and lace, and included the word “Merit.” Many military historians believe the purple and heart-shaped aspects of the old and new versions of the deco*ration refer to Purpleheart, a hard, dense, dark purple lumber that was sought by the Continental Army for gun carriages, mortar bases and other weapons because of its resiliency and strength — qualities emblematic of outstanding soldiers who had the heart and courage to carry on under the most difficult of conditions.
The Defense Department estimates 1.7 million service members and veterans have been awarded the Purple Heart.

nastyleg
09-08-2009, 12:24 AM
cool I knew it was for valor way back when but this sheds a little more light on it.

sparkie
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I have heard purpleheart grows only in Brazil. I have worked with it making a knife handle. Hard as a rock.
I'll have to google my facts.

bobdina
09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I have heard purpleheart grows only in Brazil. I have worked with it making a knife handle. Hard as a rock.
I'll have to google my facts.

you my friend are too much, lol

sparkie
09-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Yep, I googled it. Grows in Central and South America. Not just Brazil. Very dense, hard to use power tools on, 'cause of burning of the grain.
Guess I musta said soumthin funny. or Bob started drinkin without us.