PDA

View Full Version : Royal war with No10

Scott
09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
THE Queen has vented her anger over the Army equipment crisis directly with No10, it was claimed last night.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/StonedSOD/SNN0707AX-682_882953a.jpg

Her intervention came as fears were expressed over the safety of ANOTHER vehicle being sent to Our Boys in Afghanistan.

Internationally-respected historian Andrew Roberts says the Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles are up in arms over the failure to provide Our Boys with bomb-proof vehicles and enough helicopters.

He said: "They are all furious with Gordon Brown over sub-standard equipment in Helmand.

"It is principally the under-armoured armoured cars and the lack of helicopters, and they have been making their views known to him in no uncertain terms."

Last night both Downing Street and Buckingham Palace officially refused to comment on Mr Roberts' allegations - which came as the Prime Minister spent the traditional weekend with The Queen at Balmoral Castle, Scotland.

Sources denied the claims, but Mr Roberts insisted the Queen's intervention had helped sharpen both Downing Street and the MoD's focus on the war.

The Royal Family's fury at the Premier's handling of the crisis is a huge embarrassment. He has already been stung by The Sun's "Don't You Know There's A Bloody War On?" campaign.

And to add to Mr Brown's woes, fears have been raised over a £7million fleet of off-road Army vehicles set to be flown to Afghanistan next month. A military source said that despite being passed fit for use, there had been "real problems" with steering during testing of the Springer vehicle, pictured right.

Mr Brown, meanwhile, last night called on world leaders to attend a huge Afghanistan War summit. It will focus on sending MORE Nato troops into the country and involve plans to BEEF UP the Afghan Army so Our Boys can return home sooner.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has also called for the summit.

Some insiders claimed it could even be held in the Afghan capital Kabul - but was more likely to take place in London.

Mr Brown was also facing calls to set up a Churchill-style War Cabinet to ensure British troops get proper treatment. Experts believe it would ensure the Government's number one focus is the Afghanistan campaign.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/StonedSOD/SNN0707B-180_882956a.jpg
They say a Cabinet group could rip up the rule book and ensure vital equipment is made and delivered to Our Boys on time.

Colonel Richard Kemp, commander of British Forces in Afghanistan in 2003, said: "We need a War Cabinet which has the power to get things done."

Action . . . Merkel

Action . . . Merkel

Meanwhile, the Tories are planning a massive shake-up of Britain's military.

Top brass in the Army, RAF and Royal Navy will all be cut back to make room for more junior ranks.

And the shocking size of the MoD's civilian staff will be slashed.

Tory defence spokesman Liam Fox will today pledge to make the sweeping changes. He will point out the nation currently pays for ONE civilian in the MoD for every TWO uniformed members of the Armed Forces. And he will remind the nation it pays for 28,000 officials to buy equipment - when the Royal Navy only has 34,000 serving sailors and commandos.

Mr Fox will say: "It is time for the MoD to get its house in order. There are questions for all three services as to whether they have an over-abundance of senior posts.

"There are almost the same number of civilians in the MoD as there are personnel serving in the Army. We must stop the trend where the military seems consistently to shrink while the civil service keeps growing."

It has also been revealed Britain's military postal service is to be axed in Belgium, France, Italy and parts of America.

Servicemen and women and their families will have to rely on local national post offices instead. Tory MP Ben Wallace said: "The BFPO has a proud and brave history of making sure the post always gets through.

"This government is cutting away at the life blood of our brave heroes' morale."

The concern over the 40mph Springer buggies came during tests at the Defence School of Transport at Leconfield, Yorks.

Seventy of the two-seater buggies have been bought to help transport casualties between helipads and bases.

They will also deliver vital gear to frontline troops.

One tester of the Springer said the vehicle needed bigger rear tyres and more power. And a senior military source told The Sun the teething problems were worrying.

He said: "We have a real problem with the Springer.

"This is meant to be a tough go-anywhere vehicle capable of high speed over rugged ground. To have steering columns damaged by a few bad bumps in Yorkshire is of some considerable concern."

The MoD said the claims would NOT affect the deployment of the vehicles with 11 Light Brigade in October.

A spokesman said: "There have been no reports of problems with the vehicle.

"Springer has successfully passed its trials with the Army, has been declared fit for purpose and is going into service."

Source - The Sun.

Bisley_Bob
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Ahh what, the springer has gash steering. Surely they could find an offroad buggy somewhere in the world with steering that works? The decision to go for that vehicle was probably politically motivated........ as always. Nice to see the "bury head in the sand" SOP is still in use with the MoD when confronted with problems though!

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Jesus. One civvie for every two guys in uniform? No wonder Blighty's fucked. If I had any faith in the Tories' ability to actually reform the MoD, I'd wish them well in the next elections, but really, they seem to be just as corrupt as Labor.

nastyleg
09-09-2009, 04:04 AM
The more I read the more I get angered but I am glad to see the Royal Family giving PM Brown a black eye for his fuck ups. Harry I thik would have brought this up earlier....but I am not a Brit and would not know the relationship between the two.

Bisley_Bob
09-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Unfortunately the Royal family has absolutely no power. The Queen can give advice to the PM etc.. but there's nothing she can do about it if he doesn't take the advice.

Reactor-Axe-Man
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Can't the Queen dissolve Parliament? I would think that kind of blow to the ruling party might have an effect on the elections for a new government. Even if Labor prevails, they will be under the gun to get right or get fucked.

Bisley_Bob
09-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure if she can. It might be one of those things where in theory she can but she never would and in practice probably couldn't. In the same way that every new law passed has to be signed off by the Queen, but if she disagrees with the law change she still has to sign it off anyway.
There isn't long for this government to run anyway, I think Brown is likely to call a general election in the spring sometime. But he knows he's going to loose so he'll leave it as late as he possibly can. He is a man with no shame.

nastyleg
09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
just food for thought...Lets say the Royal Family causes enough of a disturbance that it stirs the public against the PM. The PM feeling the pressure from both the Royal family and the public resigns....or...The public alone forces the PM to resign to public pressure. Either way the end result would be him getting out. Do you think this is feesable?

Bisley_Bob
09-11-2009, 05:36 AM
He is already on the recieving end of rediculous hatred from the public. But he has shown that he will never resign, he's waited for the whole of Tony Blair's time at Number 10 to become the PM so he wants to hold onto it as long as possible. Even if he did resign Labour would just vote which of them would take his place (like how Brown got in). It wouldn't go to a general election, so we'd still be screwed over by an incompetent liar from "New Labour". Remember, this is the man who stands up infront of the TV cameras and says with a straight face that we have plenty of helicopters in Afghanistan, he has no shame.

Scott
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
all i can say is hes a prick,shameful man and comes out with a bunch of lies same for his party. its a damm shame.