PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy’s Most Powerful Warship joins the fleet

bobdina
09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
HMS Daring, the Royal Navy’s newest and most powerful warship, pays her visit first to Marchwood military port at Southampton next week.

The Type 45 destroyer arrives at the port, known as the Sea Mounting Centre, on Tuesday (September 1) for ammunition handling and loading trials.

The 24-hour visit is part of ongoing trials designed to test all parts of the ship’s capabilities before she is formally accepted in to the RN fleet – and able to be deployed anywhere in the world – early next year.

HMS Daring’s Commanding Officer, Captain Paddy McAlpine, said: “The visit to Marchwood is an important part of the ship’s trials programme and we will be working hard to make sure we come through it successfully.”

HMS Daring – the first of the Royal Navy’s six Type 45 destroyers - was built and launched in Glasgow and made her first entry to her Portsmouth Naval Base home in January. The second, HMS Dauntless, is undergoing sea trials and will arrive at Portsmouth Naval Base for the first time early next year.

The main weapon of the Type 45 is the sophisticated and lethal Principal Anti Air Missile System, comprising a multi-function radar (MFR), automatic command and control system, and surface to air missiles operating in conjunction with long-range and early warning radar.

The MFR can detect all types of targets out to a distance of 400km and is capable of tracking hundreds of targets simultaneously. Her long-range radar provides a 3D search capability and can track up to 1,000 targets.

The Type 45 also has a comprehensive suite of other weapons and equipment including a 4.5” main gun for shore bombardment and is equipped with a surface ship torpedo defence system, protecting it against the most advanced torpedoes.

Daring’s on-board power plant can supply enough electricity to light a town of 80,000 people, and she is fitted with enough electrical cable to circle the M25 motorway three times.

ghost
09-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Nice. I wonder how it stacks up against the American Arleigh Burke class. I'm not saying, "I wonder which is better". I'm just curious about how the compare.