PDA

View Full Version : PM lanced by corporal

Scott
08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
A BRAVE Army Lance Corporal who put Gordon Brown on the spot by demanding to know why he pays tax while fighting for his country abroad was applauded last night.

Squaddie Dean Byfield, 20, left the PM squirming when he fired the question at the PM during his visit to Afghanistan.

The confrontation came after The Sun launched our "Don't You Know There's A Bloody War On" campaign to get a better deal for all 9,000 British servicemen fighting the Taliban... and more decisive leadership from the Prime Minister.

Mr Brown had been talking light-heartedly about soccer to Dean and his colleagues during a lunch - but the mood changed as out-of-the-blue, he asked: "Why do we have to pay tax while we are out here?"

US soldiers enjoy duty-free salaries and French, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch troops get generous allowances to boost pay when away from home.

The PM, caught completely off guard, gave a mumbled response. Appearing a little lost for words, he said: "It is because you have a British employer."

And he could give no assurance that soldiers' pay would be boosted any time soon.

As the Welsh Guards around him made the most of the lunch of sandwiches, crisps and fruit Mr Brown went on: "Every year we look at these things and we look at what is happening at different grades.

"I hope nevertheless you have found your service here rewarding. You are doing a very important job."

British squaddies in Helmand had hoped Mr Brown would get a real taste of what life is like for them by visiting a Forward Operating Base.

On Friday, a squaddie with 4 Rifles had urged Mr Brown to spend 48 hours with an infantry battalion on the front line.

Looking in ... PM peers at armoured vehicle

Looking in ... PM peers at armoured vehicle

But when the PM arrived unexpectedly on Saturday he spent less than three hours with rank-and-file soldiers inside the comfort of the bases at Camp Bastion and Lashkar Gar.

The PM's trip came to an end when he flew home at 6pm on Saturday.

The squaddie, who did not want to be named, said: "To me, the whole trip was just a PR stunt and it won't have won many of us over.

"It's all very well for him to arrive with his shirt sleeves rolled up but until he has a proper visit, he'll never know what's going on.

"He needs to see a Forward Operating Base. If Mr Brown was really serious about supporting the troops, that's what he would do."

Dean, from Anglesey, North Wales, was also unhappy with the PM's response to his question.

After Mr Brown left, Dean said: "It's wrong - we're out here fighting for our country, paying tax."

Gun shy ... with armed men at Camp Bastion

Gun shy ... with armed men at Camp Bastion

Dean's family was right behind him. Mum Sharon Jones, 40, said: "He's honest and straight-talking. Dean's a very loyal lad who cares a great deal for his mates.

"He's right to raise the point - the lads should not have to pay taxes when in a war zone."

Grandfather Owen Pritchard, 62, said: "Those lads are risking their lives for the country and should not be taxed. Dean asked the right question."

The tax issue is just another example of Our Boys getting a raw deal. Their American counterparts enjoy tax-free payments while in Afghanistan. Continental troops get benefits too.

Young British soldiers like Dean earn between £20,178 and £28,378 a year.

The only benefits they get are a separation allowance of £1,194 and a tax-free operational allowance of £2,380 at the end of a six-month tour.

Army chief Colonel Richard Kemp, who led British forces in Afghanistan in 2003, said: "When soldiers fight alongside the Americans and see that they don't have their pay taxed abroad it becomes a big issue."

bobdina
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
The more I see these article and I am reading about it also ,I really feel for these guy's. They are doing a great job but seems they really overlooked by the government. But then again when the U.K. troops were interviewed by Micheal Won they said all the media care about is how lonely they are

While Axle worked, I asked about times when he "smashed" the Taliban. British soldiers like to use the word "smashed" when talking about the Taliban. When Axle would finish talking about one fight, I would ask about another. Finally, Axle said, "You Yanks are great. You like to hear stories about us smashin' the Taliban but people at home want to know how much we miss our families." We both chuckled, and I asked, "Really? They don't ask you about smashing the Taliban?" "That's right," then Axle said something like, "They only want to hear how sad we are." Axle and I got along great because I didn't care if he missed his family and he didn't care if I missed mine.

so I don't know what to make of it.

from this post http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/showthread.php?p=12903#post12903

nastyleg
08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Well Bob you could be liked to this reporter who is reporting on a subject most wont touch like this link below. to borrow your moniker FTM!

http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=127