PDA

View Full Version : British Army Hero Sells Medals To Buy Home

GTFPDQ
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Monday, August 31, 2009

Source: The Sun Online

A cash-strapped Royal Marine hero is having to sell his bravery medal so he can give his family the financial security they need.

L/Cpl Justin Thomas won the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross - second only to the VC - for saving the lives of 20 colleagues by single-handedly fending off 100 Iraqi insurgents with a machine gun.

But he hopes selling it for around £60,000 will enable him to buy a house for his wife and two-year-old daughter.

Justin, 30, admitted yesterday: "I do have some regrets. In an ideal world I'd like to keep it but we don't live in an ideal world.

"If soldiers were paid more I might not be in this situation."

Justin, of Pontypridd, South Wales, earned just £20,000 a-year during his time with 40 Commando.

Now he has another job but needs the money his highly-prized medals would provide.

The Cross will be auctioned on September 17 along with Justin's three service medals from Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Ireland and a 2002 Jubilee medal.

Only 33 of the silver crosses attached to a white, red and blue ribbon have been awarded since the medal was introduced in 1993.

Justin's was the first won during the Iraq war and is believed to be the first one put up for sale.

A Ministry of Defence source said: "He did something phenomenal and won something phenomenal. It's a shame he has to sell it."

http://www.modoracle.com/news/Hero-Sells-Medals-To-Buy-Home_18747.html

This guy goes overseas, fights his bollocks off for the UK and then has to sell his medals to buy a home. You read about this for older retired personnel but this guy is still young. Its a crying shame.

ghost
08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Damn. Single-handedly fended off 100 insurgents, with a machine gun? That's crazy shit.

I understand his dilemma. But, I can see why he would need to sell it. I salute him for his bravery and modesty.

nastyleg
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Crying shame indeed.....UKMOD is admitting this problem but is doing nothing about it.